Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drive

• Please log in to reply

Missy1

Missy1

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I have just purchased a Dell Latitude second hand laptop and it doesn't have a CD Drive. What I wanted to know is if I can get any CD drive and plug it into my laptop just the same as the floppy drive and if so can it be any brand, or does it have to be specifically for the Dell Latitude L400??? Thanks, Kylie :whistling:

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
You cant just get ANY player, it has to be specific for laptops. Usually any brand cd/dvd drive will work. But, just to be sure go to the dell website, punch in the dell service tag number, it will give you all the specs on your laptop as to what kind of drive, etc,etc.
-P.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You can get used CD drives on ebay pretty cheap (just be careful).

The floppy drive can be external to the laptop using a cable, but the CD can not (at least the cable says that it is only for the floppy).

It is also possible that you could use a USB CDROM drive, but you might not be able to boot the machine with it, depending on the laptop (I have an older Dell Latitude laptop and it will not boot from the USB).

There are two parts to this, the CD drive itself and the enclosure which goes into the computer. There are many CD drives that will work, but then you need to find the correct enclosure.