Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Password for Wireless Home Networking

• Please log in to reply

geekako

geekako

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello,

I have a DSL Internet connection and i'm using a Belkin router for wireless sharing of internet to my laptop and also sharing files.

Can anyone tell me how to protect my internet connection and keep someone else from accessing it and my shared files.... i mean like a password so i can make sure that my laptop is the only one who can connect to my main PC. Because i think my wireless router can be reached by other laptops in the apartment next to mine...

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Turn encryption on in the Router config pages. Then just tell your laptop to connect to your router and give it the password.

geekako

geekako

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Turn encryption on in the Router config pages. Then just tell your laptop to connect to your router and give it the password.

thanks for the reply.
where can i find my router config pages... i didn't install the driver (router) in my pc because it works even without the driver... do i have to install it?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

thanks for the reply.
where can i find my router config pages... i didn't install the driver (router) in my pc because it works even without the driver... do i have to install it?

Try http://192.168.2.1 (Router Home Page). That's the one I use for my Belkin Wireless G Plus router. I set mine to WPA-TKIP. Check your manual for setup procedures or call tech support. Try to get past the first-level support person as they are not as experienced.

I installed all for mine using the CD, but if you can access your router settings and change them, then you shouldn't need to install the driver. It is perferable to use the manufactuer's driver where possible. I would also check online for any updated drivers.

Ron

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geekstogo...ndpost&p=598489 check this tutorial out as well

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would avoid the belkin drivers if you possibly can so if it works without them keep it like that, the hardware is good quality but the software they package with the drivers are utter rubbish you are better sticking with the WZC for managing the connection and passwords.