Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing from Dell casing to bigger?

• Please log in to reply

emoskater84

emoskater84

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Is it possible to change my compter from it's small dell casing to a bigger non-dell casing so I can fit bigger parts into it??

Advertisements

williamleo

williamleo

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes. If you have a digital camera, take quite a few pictures of the inside of the Dell case. Make sure the power supply will fit in the new case correctly. Check how the power button, the hard drive light & the on light hook up to your motherboard. These will vary. First suggestion is to research your Dell and the new case if possible. Post back for any questions, I've did this a few times and have had no trouble, so far.

emoskater84

emoskater84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Any suggestions on what case I should change to???

I currently have a Dell 4700.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 – emoskater84 – [Dell Case Replacement]
4th May 2006

Is it possible to change my compter from it's small dell casing to a bigger non-dell casing so I can fit bigger parts into it??

– Just to let you know what you are getting into –

NOTE – Dell is a – Proprietary Manufacturer – Which means they do not follow – The PC Standards – The Dell Power Supply & Motherboard – Do not follow PC Standard Wiring – Therefore you must use a – Dell Certified Replacement Power Supply – whenever replacing. The mounting locations probably are altered also – I would say that you would have to check with – Father Dell – for Permission to do this [??]

You would have to have Mounting Locations – pretty well measured & planned in advance in order to make the necessary alterations. Dell does not plan much for – Upgrades – If you do decide to upgrade – You should probably stay with the certified Dell Replacement Components/Parts – but even then – you would have to adlib the transformation – If the Manufacturer did not foresee the expansion need for an inadequate design – how are you going to redesign better performance [??]

A good design will have
1- Performance
2- Accuracy
3- Manufacturability
4- User Friendly/Ability
5- Standards Ability
6- Maintainability
7- Replace ability
8- Upgradeability
9- Supportability

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 04 May 2006 - 10:55 AM.

williamleo

williamleo

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Jack123 makes a very good point. Like I said before, research is really the key to answering your own questions. I will throw this in though...If you're gonna do it anyway (see how we are!), maybe stop in to your local computer repair shop, not a retailer, and chat with them. Most have cases and parts they will get rid of either for free or for next to nothing. Not to mention they are a wealth of information! You learn by trying, just keep in mind...what you have now works, what you end up with might not. That's the reason for taking all those photos before you start, with the hope you can "go back" if need be. Also check out the "barebones cases" that are very affordable. Maybe build a new powerhouse!