Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PSU?

• Please log in to reply

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I currently have a Ebuyer extra value 500W power supply :whistling: and I was thinking about upgrading it to a Hiper 580W Type-R Modular PSU what would be the differences if i had a better PSU?

Thanks,

Kurt

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you have a BETTER (read "higher quality") PSU then you don't have to worry as much about it exploding or failing in other less catastrophic ways in the future...also the better PSU's usually have cleaner power output so your internal goodies are safer...the voltages are usually more regular so again...internal goodies are safe...plus if it's a higher peak power PSU you can add more upgrades and higher end parts without having power issues...and if the psu that you listed as the one you might go for is truly modular then you can keep the inside of t he case cleaner because you only connect the wires you need to the psu and keep the rest in a box under the bed

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Could it give me a better frame rate. I have a Sapphire Radeon X700 pro 256mb and upgrading to a AMD Athlon 64 3700+?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i couldn't say yes or no on that one...i would lean towards probably not...as with the 500W psu...you are almost deffinitely NOT underpowering your video card which would effect it's preformance...so i'd say no..you wouldn't notice a change in performance

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It wont affect performance it would just protect your system alot better than the ebuyer one is, and should output less noise the hyper PSUs are almost silent with the fan running and the fan isnt always on.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Ok thanks for that

Kurt