Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

file sharing

• Please log in to reply

fear187

fear187

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I have XP Pro.
I turned off simple file sharing.
If I share a directory, under the share tab, I click the Permissions button and have "everyone" added with Read permission set.

If I go to another computer, it won't allow me to access my shared directory so it wouldn't work, my computer could be seen, but not entered into to view the shared directory (both computers are on same subnet/network name)

I used the file sharing wizard and found that, under the shared directory properties window, under security tab, it added in "everyone" group with read/list files/execute properties.

Once it did that, file sharing correctly worked.

Now my question: isn't the Security tab for setting access (read/write/modify/execute) permissions for LOCAL ACCOUNTS (as in, has nothing to do with accounts accross a network to share files)

If thats the case, then what is the purpose of the PERMISSIONS BUTTON under the share tab of a directory to be used for? (It has "everyone" group, with read permissions)

I was just under the assumption that the Security tab only affected rights for local accounts on the computer (say you don't want the BOB account accessing SUE's word document directory sort of thing)
And I was under the notion that the PERMISSIONS button under the share tab was to set file sharing access permissions (hense why I was dumbfounded why it wouldn't work, even though it had "Everyone" group specified with read permissions).. it only worked after Everyone group was also added to the security tab of the directory. (Hope everyone gets what I'm talking about)

Hope everyones understanding my puzzlement.
If "everyone" group isn't under security tab, file sharing won't allow you read access to the directory, even though the "everyone" group is under the "Permissions" button in the share tab.

I'm just confused. Please explain why this is the case?

Edited by fear187, 04 May 2006 - 09:50 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the permissions tab set's just that...permissions...it gives you PERMISSION to access the folder...permissions are generally for local accounts...such as...if you had a folder that you kept a bunch of stuff that you didn't want your kids to see (i.e. banking info) then you could set up multiple users on the computer and set the permissions on the folder so that their user cannot access the folder...they could still see it...but not get into it..

the SECURITY tab...once again...does what it says...it controls the SECURITY of the folder...in windows security generally means security from outsiders coming in...so if you're on a domain network you can secure the folders agains unwanted viewing from remote machines based on username or group membership (same with local machines)

you would notice...that if you just set the SECURITY correctly on the folder...that you other user would indeed be able to see the shared folder...but if the permissions weren't correct...they wouldn't be able to access it because they weren't granted permission ("mom can i go to the store" NO "but mom i can see the store...it's right there" make sense?)

fear187

fear187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
well, if you say the Security tab is to set security permission so people can enter the shared directory (from a workgroup peer-to-peer network), then why even use the permissions button in the share tab? (the share tab permissions button has the same permissions you set for the person... that the security tab has.. what's the point in setting it in both tabs? seems redundant)

heres a pic of what I'm talking about.

http://img427.images...age=pic12nc.jpg

http://img382.images...age=pic26dg.jpg

Edited by fear187, 04 May 2006 - 10:11 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...the point is for allowing for VERY fine tuned security...for example

let's say i have a shared folder called....oohh...shared folder (creative eh?) and within that folder i have folder's named "bob", "sally", "george", and "everybody"...well bob does'nt like sally or george and they don't like anyone else either so they don't want them reading their stuff.... SO i set the SECURITY and PERMISSIONS for the folder called "shared folder" to allow EVERYONE in.. so now they can get into the "shared folder" and see all the other folders...now i would set the PERMISSIONS on bob so that only bob can get in, on sally so that only sally can get in, on george so that only george can get in, and for the everybody folder i set it so everyone can get in so they can share publilc documents and files...now george can't get into bob's folder or sally's but he can get into his...and vice versa..

fear187

fear187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
ok, I understand now, Thanks for the clarification =)