Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Frankenstein" RAM

• Please log in to reply

Raito

Raito

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Is it what's causing our PC to go nuts, like restarting all of a sudden?
:whistling:
I currently have
2pcs 64MB SDRAM
1pc 128MB DDRAM and
1pc 256MB DDRAM

I've been told that this patched-up mix is causing the sudden out-of-the blue restarts.
I've been planning to get rid of the 64's.

By the way, is it perfectly allright to have a 256MB RAM and a 128MB RAM together?

And the Graphics card, It's about time that leave the built-in cause my our unit starts to slow down every time play games or videos. My research tells me built in Graphics card takes it's memory from the RAM, and my friend lent me a graphics card... but it's old I could hardly read the sticker I could only see 64MB and "GEForce 2" and the heatsink in it looks like it's been pried open.

Most of the time I only use my unit for art stuff, LAN games, encoding, C++ programming, Visual Basic, CAD
Matlab and Net browsing

I need an opinion regarding what I should do with the RAM, and what what brand/make/spec for the graphics card should I buy

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

By the way, is it perfectly allright to have a 256MB RAM and a 128MB RAM together?

yes that's perfectly fine..the size of the ram is irrelevant as long as the ram is compatible with your motherboard...

And the Graphics card, It's about time that leave the built-in cause my our unit starts to slow down every time play games or videos. My research tells me built in Graphics card takes it's memory from the RAM, and my friend lent me a graphics card... but it's old I could hardly read the sticker I could only see 64MB and "GEForce 2" and the heatsink in it looks like it's been pried open.

that's correct...onboard graphix uses your ram to process the information....i personally try my hardest to never put any hardware in my computer that looks damaged or old...it's not worth the trouble

as for the restarts...try this

In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

also do start > run > cmd > chkdsk /r /f it should ask you if you want to schedule this at restart...say yes and let it run to completion...report any errors

also go to www.memtest.org and follow the instructions for creating a bootable memtest disk and run it for about 2 hours...report any errors

Raito

Raito

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the advice!
You even saved my brother from a little questioning about what was he thinking on putting mixed RAM :whistling: