Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Soundcard Compatibility

• Please log in to reply

Jackler

Jackler

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hello, I was wanting to set up a Home audio amp that was connected to my TV and computer. I was wanting to know if any of the soundcards are able to output their sounds to such devices successfully. I was planning on buying the Logitech X-530, but Im not sure that those speakers would work on the Audio Amp. The speakers aside however, would I be able to hook up a 5-7:1 soundcard to a Home audio AMP.

Heres a link to an example of AMP Im talking about.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...bayphotohosting

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Ok, first off Onkyo is a VERY good company, they make good quality stuff (good chioce). Second that is not an amplifier, its a reciever, there is a difference. AMPs ONLY amplify, there is no tuner and usually no volume, and it would need to be hooked up to a non amplified reciever. Reciever have the amplifier integrated into them, they have volume, bass/treble controls, and source controls (tape,tv,aux,etc.). Now that we got that straight, heres how you run it. First off your going to need an adapter that has 2 "headphone" style connectors (forgot the technical name) to RCA cable ends. Basically, youd hook the the headphones jacks into your comp run it to the input of your choice (tv,cd,dvd,etc), then you run your speakers off of the reciever. You cant run computer speakers off of this. You need regular house speakers with an 8ohm impedence. I believe that computer speakers have maybe a 1 or 2 ohm impedence. This means that if you choose to run your comp speakers off of this reciever I can alsmot guarantee youll blow em the first time you put power to them. And yes you can hook the 5.1 or 7.1 to the reciever but it wont matter as the reciever has its own pro logic (whatever) built in to it. So youd probably have to set your sound card to 2.1 and let the reciever do the actual 5.1,7.1 splitting.
-P.

Jackler

Jackler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Thanks for replying so soon.

I was planning to run various audio sources through the reciever, including a TV/VCR, the comp, and perhaps some gaming consoles. I was looking at the revolution 7:1 soundcard, and it has a coaxial digital output, and the OnkYo has a digital input. Could that perhaps save some hassle?

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
In that case yeah it would, it should be a direct connect.
-P.