Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow internal transfer speeds

• Please log in to reply

the sound tank

the sound tank

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi guys

Just wondering if you could tell me why i seem to be experiencing really slow transfer speeds between disks. I was moving my folder of mp3's from an external firewire disk to an internal ide drive. The folder is quite large(23 GB), but it took almost 2 hours to transfer. I noticed it was slow from the start and even tried a different cable with no improvement. Also, the firewire port appears to be in good, clean order.

Is this normal, or is there something playing up?

regards :whistling:

Advertisements

the sound tank

the sound tank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have been doing some benchmarking to see what is going on and seem to be getting slow speeds across all of my disks(all of which are NTFS if that has any impact). Can someone help me understand what a good read/write speed should be.

I have four hard drives; 2 x Maxtor ATA 7200rpm(1x80GB & 1x120GB), and 2 x Seagate SATA 250GB. When tested I got write speed results between 4.5MB/s and 5MB/s for the Maxtors, and for both the Seagates I got a little over 5MB/s. Is this normal(it seems slow to me)?

The software I am using is called FreshDiagnose(by FreshDevices) and PerformanceTest(by Passmark), and the results(according to their comparisons) indicate that my discs are under performing. Is there anything i can do?

Your help will be much appreciated

Regards :whistling: