Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

See who access FTP files?

• Please log in to reply

jflores

jflores

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all, I have an FTP server set up using IIS. All it does is host a couple of Mp3's for a website. The website has an embedded MP3 flash player. I do not host the website.

Is there a way that I can see the exact URL of whoever clicked on that website and accessed(played) the MP3's? I know I can goto the LOG file and see IP Addresses, but Im wondering if I can somehow get the URL from where they came from. For example:

Say someone saw the page on Google.com. Then they clicked it to visit. Is there a way that I can know the click came from Google?

lol, i hope I made sense :whistling: thanks!

Advertisements

The Architect

The Architect

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
In your example - whereby a visitor came to your page via Google - Google is called the referer (no, that's not a typo!).
While it is technically possible to see where your visitors came from (again, the referer), using a server log analysis tool, your hosting company's server must cooperate to a certain extent - and this is not always the case (especially if you're not using a paid hosting service).

A popular server log analysis tool is:

The Webalizer
You may want to check out their FAQ section first.

However - you've indicated that you do not host the website. Typically server log info is only available to the Webmaster - and many hosting companies have their own proprietary server log analysis tools that they make available to the Webmaster - but I'm not sure if this would apply in your case...?

Edited by The Architect, 05 May 2006 - 08:19 PM.