Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problems with xp

• Please log in to reply

oakley144

oakley144

• Pip
  • 4 posts
my computer freezes almost everytime at the toshiba startup screen when you first turn it on. if you can get past that it will freeze at the windows startup page, and if you get past that most of the time it will work but on occasion it will go to the blue screen memory dump screen. idk if this is a good enough discription of what is going on for anyone to help me or not

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
see if you can start the machine in safe mode with command prompt...if so type chkdsk /r /f and let that run to completion (usually 45 min or so)...report any errors

if you can't get to safe mode with command prompt

Do you have an XP cd?
if so boot to the cd and choose the R option (recovery console) once at the prompt type chkdsk /r and let that run to completion (usually 45 min or so)...report any errors

oakley144

oakley144

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i did the disk check and it seemed to make the problem worse, i have also reinstalled widows and that still dosent help. i think i'm going to take it the best buy and have them send it off, its still under warrenty. i'm starting to think it is a hardware problem.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if it's still under warranty..then that sounds like the best option