Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aboutblank

• Please log in to reply

cowboy357

cowboy357

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry I,m new here,,,,Iv,e been infected with about everything You can get by installing noadware & some of there fixes to get rid of stuff they infected Me with,,,,Ive got rid of them & most of My problems exept the aboutblank start page Thanks to AD-Aware Plus,,,,Spydocter ,,,& vcom fixit utilities 6,,,,I still have the norton online that came free with My netzero internet provider & I think between the 2 of them There still responsible for most of My problems,,,,,everytime I try to download an update for my good Virus software ,,,I either get disconnected ( Yes I,m on dial up,) or norton says it found something,,,& has to close windows,,,allthough My other Software can,t find any problems,,,,anyone else have this kind of a problem,,,,,But I still can,t get rid of that about blank page,,,& would appreciate any help,,,thankyou,,,,Cowboy

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
There are many possible causes for this behaviour and most are evil. One possible cause is a virus, but this is not very common. The most likely culprit is an adware/browser hijack program - in particular, CoolWebSearch.

The symptom that identifies the CoolWebSearch or a close variation is that About:Blank appears as the address, but in the background a window pops up stating that spyware, adware or something similar has been found on your system. CoolWebSearch is a browser hijack program - it takes over your home page, and keeps changing it back. Its purpose is to show you advertising, or flog you an over-priced piece of software to fix the issue CoolWebSearch has created. The About:Blank change is a trick designed to confuse users - regrettably, it is very successful!

The simplest way to remove the About:Blank adware is to use a specially designed tool and clean up your system. Step one is to flush out all the temp files on your system: Cookies, Temporary Internet Files and Temp files (you can do this via Internet Explorer's Tools-Internet Options or for a more thorough clean, use a privacy tool such as Tracks Eraser Pro 5). Next up, get a copy of CWShredder. This should kill CoolWebSearch and allow you to change your home page from About:Blank, plus it will kill those pop up windows.

If these options don't work, you may need a more in-depth tool such as SpyCatcher. It will also flush out all types of spyware, adware and malware. Plus it offers home page protection to guard against future hijacks.

http://www.softwarep...cwdownload.html

http://www.softwarep...erdownload.html

SRX660

cowboy357

cowboy357

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thankyou for Your response ,,,but my home page has not changed,,,the only time I see about blank is when I close each browser window,,,just for a split second but it slows everything down,,,& the software I have installed is supposed to be the 3 best & dont find anything,,,,,Symantic is set as My homepage & Norton finds things that aren,t there,,,so it makes Me wonder if there not the problem,,,& I did do a search on about blank before I posted this & it showed no results,,,Now I see there are,,,,so I,ll do some reading,,,thanks again,,,,,Cowboy