Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD/DVD reading related windows freezing problem

• Please log in to reply

Woyh

Woyh

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I remember the old days, when using a bad CD in Windows 95/98 was something I almost feared. If I recall correctly, when a CD/DVD could not be read all kind of bad things happened with almost always bringing windows down to their knees (Including blue screens saying the CD can't be read).

When windows 2000 came along these problems seemed to be solved....until a couple of days ago for me :/
I re-installed W2K on a "new-ish" computer using recent chipset / graphics / sound / etc.. drivers. only to notice that when an older CD or DVD is inserted, everything stops for a few moments, then picks up and repeats the process. Most of the times it comes to the point where I have to reset the computer (even CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't work).

This IS NOT related to windows changing transfer modes from UDMA -> PIO , since I checked and UDMA mode is set unchanged. What I'm fearing is it has something to do with NForce chipset drivers, but it's just a feeling.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this or perhaps discover the culprit ?

(Also note that this situation might have been present before I noticed it, since it's not a habit of mine to test old media for readability.)

(Relevant) Specs:

Asus A8N-E (Nforce 4)
3500+
1024 Dual Channel DDR
NEC 4570

Thanks for any help

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If this is only happening on certain disks, the problem will be with that media. It can also be traced back to a faulty drive that that disk was made on originally. Windows doesn't change from UDMA to PIO on a whim, it'll only change its mind over a reboot when the device tells it it can't support UDMA anymore, and this is then itself a sign of a device that is dying.

Woyh

Woyh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I know it's because of a faulty media...that's the point. Windows / drivers / whatever should be able to manage faulty media being inserted WITHOUT freezing the computer and requiering a hardware reset.

I also know the UDMA->PIO change doesn't occur that quickly, but it does depend on the version of some system file (atapi.sys I think) and registry setting.

Nevertheless, why doesn't the reader give up after trying for a certain time and display an error message ? That's my problem, since I know Win2K does that on another system I have.