Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Drivers

• Please log in to reply

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
I'm reformatting my old PC to get that "freshly bought computer" feel back. And everywhere I've read it says to save the drivers for after you do it. What exactly do I have to do with the drivers?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I think what you are reading is the general advice to get the drivers needed for your system before the format(eg graphics, sound card, ethernet controler etc. etc.) and get them on a disk so they are all in one place and then you dont have to rake the internet for drivers after the reinstall.

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
But I could just go to the website, say the HP website, and just download them. Correct?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

But I could just go to the website, say the HP website, and just download them. Correct?

You can do it that way, although it isn't any fun :whistling:

Anyway if its a branded system (HP, Dell, etc) and you're using their recovery software, you don't need any more drivers unless you've added extra hardware in the meantime.

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Well its a branded system but I'm not using their software... I'm trying to clean the computer out completly. Delete the entire hard drive and reinstall windows. When you say it isn't any fun does are you saying that I can't do it that way?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah thats the way you get them, its how you make sure you have the most upto date drivers.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

When you say it isn't any fun does are you saying that I can't do it that way?

it's an insider joke for those of us who work with these things all day. I do apologise. You can do it anyway you want.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
there's a program called driver magician (sorry i don't have a link) that will export all non windows drivers to a disk...very handy before you format