Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no applications running

• Please log in to reply

rcm190

rcm190

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

In my house, 2 computers have stopped working in less than 2 hours. I'm not sure if it a virus because they are both hooked up to the same network OR if it is just coincidence. Any help that anyone can provide would be awesome.

computer 1: My sister's friend sent her an email telling her to not open another email bc it contained a virus. She opened the one that told her not to open the first one. Her computer slowed down and she deleted all processes containing VCA. Please don't ask me why because I really have no idea. Now, her computer turns on and show the Microsoft screen and then goes black. Any suggestions? I'm guessing she deleted part of Windows XP but I really have no idea.

computer 2: The computer turns on and the windows signon screen pops up. when you click on a user, the normal screen appears except all of the shortcut icons are internet explorer symbols. No applications seem to run - even if I go through windows explorer. Basically the computer can do absolutely nothing.

Any help would be grately appreciated!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
knowing why she chose VCA might help...and do you mean she terminated them or deleted them (how did she do that?)

On this first machine, I would start with a windows repair following this procedure

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

the second one is...interesting.

Can you log into safe mode? What occurs?

rcm190

rcm190

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
She deleted the VCA items because her friend the virus was named xxxxxx(something)VCA. I believe she went into the hardware and/or processes and deleted them. I'll try the windows repair when I get home.

I haven't tried safe mode for the 2nd computer. Is there anything I should do once I get into that?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I suspect the second machine is infected with something and that is the cause...loading into safe mode may result in a good load...if so, I would visit the malware forum and follow the isntructions there.