Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Control Panel Disaster

• Please log in to reply

mrhunta

mrhunta

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Hey everybody... Recently, I went to my control panel to tthe Add/Remove program menu. Much to my surprise, I found myself looking at a list of programs, but none with the Change or Remove button! Puzzled, I called Microsoft, who reffered me to Dell, who Remote Connected with me. After an hour of snooping around on my computer, the tech finally concluded that my computer needs to be reformated! Seeing as this was a drastit measure, i came here. Should i go with the tech support's advice? From what I hear, this is a very problem. If you guys have anything regardiung this problem , any information would be appreciated. :whistling:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
UGH, I can't read. What I posted won't help. Hold on a minute or two while I get the right response.

*Fenor slaps himself

Edited by Fenor, 04 May 2006 - 07:42 PM.

mrhunta

mrhunta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
ok lol

Edited by mrhunta, 04 May 2006 - 07:46 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Are you sure you are logged in on an account that has ADMINISTRATOR privileges? If you don't, then you won't be able to uninstall programs from the control panel.

Fenor

mrhunta

mrhunta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
i wouldnt even be able to get into the add/remove menu without admin powers, but yes i do have them, and im the only user on my comp that does

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have your XP CD handy?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and /scannow)
  • Once the blue bar goes away, reboot your computer.
SFC - System File Checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right-click MY COMPUTER, and select MANAGE. Click the '+' symbol next to EVENT VIEWER under the SYSTEM TOOLS heading, and then select SYSTEM and you will see what files were replaced by SFC.

Fenor

mrhunta

mrhunta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Which windows CD? the service pack 2 one or the initial one...

mrhunta

mrhunta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Well, i just tryed it. Still same problem

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When did you start to notice this problem? If you know the date when you last remember it working, try to remember what you installed between then and now and that will help us narrow down the search for the culprit.

Fenor

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Which windows CD? the service pack 2 one or the initial one...

Had you SP1 on your pc at the start when you bought it?

If so , you have to run the sfc /scannow procedure with a XP CD that only has SP1 on it.

mrhunta

mrhunta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
I tried everthing- ran the disk that initally came with the PC, system restored it to a point where i know for a fact it worked... i might as well reformat and buy an external harddrive