Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Built first PC, first boot problems.

• Please log in to reply

loydchristmas

loydchristmas

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Built my first PC and tried to boot it for the first time. I didnt count the beeps which i should have done, but I was taken to a screen that wanted me to either continue with f1 or go into my Bios which i chose to do. I tried to switch between categories to get to my Chipset to tweak CAS, but it all froze up. Said soemthing at the bottom about antivirus. So I just turned off the PC, and now when i boot it i cant get a DVI signal to my monitor. The system either beeps continuosly now when i turn it on or it beeps once or twice and I cant get a signal to my monitor. What do i do?

I am running a DFI NF4 ULTRA D
Evga- Geforce 7600 gt
320gb WD Caviar
Benq 20.1 Monitor
Plextor 716

Thanks.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I suggest trying some barebones troubleshooting. Here is an excellent guide to assist (credit The Elder Geek) http://www.theelderg...nstallation.htm

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
You need to reset your CMOS so your cas goes back to default. You should get it to post before you go messin around with your memory timings. On most boards you can reset the CMOS by unplugging your rig from the outlet, remove the watch battery, press and hold the mouse button for 5 seconds (releases stored energy), replace the battery, plug er in and fire her up. This should revert your cas latency back to default.
-P.

loydchristmas

loydchristmas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I didnt mess with any settings at all. As soon as I went into the Bios screen and tried to move the cursor it froze up. I am confused as to why my monitor is randomly getting a signal.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If your new build won't post, barebones troubleshooting is the way to go. You can still reset the bios to defaults even though you didn't knowingly change anything. Follow the procedure for that as detailed in your motherboard manual. Once you get it to post and load the OS on a barebones installation, you can then add the remaining components ONE at a time, making sure it boots after each is added.