Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Status: "Not Connected" - Please Help

• Please log in to reply

qball419

qball419

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok...here is the situation. I have an Acer laptop and recently my integrated wireless adapter's been acting really
strange. It's an Intel Wireless card BTW. Anyway, it was working fine and then all of sudden, it decided not to work anymore. It is not
even aware of any wireless network around it. Please note that my other computer can see many wireless networks
including my own. So there is no problem with my wireless router at all.

Its status has been "Not Connected" for days now. First thing I did was check "Device Manager".The icon
is there (no exclamation mark or anything) and it said that "the device is working properly". Ok fine.
Next logically thing to conclude is that the driver is messed up. So I uninstall the device..reboot my laptop...
XP detects the hardware at startup then prompted me to install the driver via a CD-ROM. So i re-installed the driver, reboot
the PC, and still get "Not Connected".

Really confused at this point. I went ahead and did a fresh installation of Windows XP. And still "Not Connected".
At this point, I figured that my adapter is probably dead. I went ahead and bought a brand new Linksys wireless card,
install the driver. And guess what? Yup, still "not connected".

Now I am just tired and pretty much have given up on resolving this issue. I have pretty much run out of reasons
as to why it is not working. Obviously it is not the card itself or driver as I initially thought. i just don't know anymor
I am hoping someone with more knowledge regarding this problem can provide so
me insight. Man, if anyone have an idea what is wrong, please let me know. I'll try to provide whatever info if necessary. This is really puzzling to me and I don't
like to give up on fixing this...but man, I don't think I can devote any more time for this. Hopefully...you guys
can help. I appreciate any input. Thanks.

:whistling: :blink:

Advertisements

kate22in

kate22in

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi,

I understand that you are able to view other wireless networks.Are you able to connect to other wireless networks or do you get the same error "not connected".May i know the router model.Also you can try changing the channel in the router.

qball419

qball419

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the response. From my description of the problem, you can safely rule out the router as being the problem. This is because my other computer can see the surrounding wireless networks just fine including my wireless router.

BTW, my wired connection works just fine. But the internal wireless adapter and all other wireless card show the status as being "Not Connected".

qball419

qball419

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Happy to report that issue has been resolved!! Apparently, there is a switch in front of my laptop ( i have an Acer Travelmate) that turns the so-called WiFi radio on and off. It has been turned off all this time. Now everything is working just fine.