Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Clean Install of Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi everyone

I'm running Windows XP Home edition on my Acer laptop. The system is getting quite slow and cluttered and although I keep the hard drives clear of junk, remove adware etc. and defrag on a regular basis, I'd like to just clear everything from the PC and start again. Not only that, there seems to be a problem with windows meaning I can't download the updates, Microsoft have failed to find a solution to this despite endless correspondence. So my question is: How can I remove the operating system and everything on (basically, reformat the hard drives) so that I can install windows again plus all of my applications with a clean system? I can't get access to the DOS prompt unless I go Start>Run>cmd so I can't reformat that way! Plus, I don't have a windows CD as the laptop came with windows pre installed when I bought it. I have the product key of course but no install CD.

I hope this makes sense - basically I want to clear everything from the PC and start again, but I'm not sure which steps to take to do it, I don't want to render my system useless!

Cheers
Adam

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You will need a windows install cd or a system restore cd with the Windows OS on it. I would suggest you contact the computer manufacturer to get a windows install or system restore cd.

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok thanks, I will do!