Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing ISP but not e-mail

• Please log in to reply

stucuk

stucuk

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Folks,

If I, for example, have an account with Freeserve and they are my ISP and I then change to BT as my ISP then when I set up e-mail I will have difficulty still using my Freeserve account as I am unable to send any e-mails from the Freeserve account, although I can still happily receive them. I can, in fact, only send on my BT e-mail account.

First of all can anyone explain why this is? Then is there anyway around this? And, if not, how do you set up Outlook / Outlook Express to kid the recipient into believing you are still using your old e-mail account (even if you are, in reality sending it via your new one).

Hope that makes sense, many thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well if you no longer have an account with freeserv as your isp (thus serving as your ISP based email server) then you would obviously not be allowed to use their servers for sending email..it wouldn't be very effective on their end to allow you to use their servers if you're not a customer... you'll just have to give everyone your BT email or use a web based email such as hotmail or yahoo

stucuk

stucuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the reply dsenette, appreciate what you are saying and totally agree but I can still receive on my Freeserve account so can I set up Outlook or Outlook Express to receive on one account and send on another? And hopefully without the recipient knowing a thing. Many thanks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as Outlook has the pop and smtp for the server, you can send and receive as usual, providing the ISP does not set the accounts to inactive