Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Joining PC to Domain from Branch location

• Please log in to reply

PatsFan

PatsFan

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am migrating from an NT 4.0 domain to a Windows 2003 Domain. I have successfully joined almost all PC's in my main location to the new domain with very few issues.
I am now working on my 2 branches. I have successfully configured 3 PC's (XP Pro) at my main location and joined them to domain and moved them out to one of 2 branches. When I attempt to move a PC that is located at a branch off the NT 4.0 domain over to the Win. 2003 domain I get a DNS error. I have created the user & computer accounts in the respected OU's on the DC. I have gone as far as manually creating the Host file and have check to make sure the PRT records are being created for the PC in question. I also have reverse lookup zone for the 2 branches. I am still getting the same error. There at this time is only 1 DC which is located in the Main location. I believe I have good working DNS as I can go to run and successfully browse or complete a name resolution query. I can also do an nslookup and get response from my Win. 2003 ip address and FQDN. I can also do an nslookup by name of the PC I am attempting to join to domain locally and from the branch. Complete Error is Attached.

Thanks,

Attached Files

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm assuming you can ping the DC from the remote branch bia ip and name correct?

PatsFan

PatsFan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, I can ping the DC by name and ip.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as a test on one of the machines....unjoin from the domain by joining a workgroup...then reboot...and try to rejoin..(you may want to delete the computer account from AD after unjoining the domain)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i mean...unjoin from the old nt4 domain (if that wasn't clear enough)

PatsFan

PatsFan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I will try that. So after I join the workgroup delete the computer account from AD. Should I change the name of the PC then add the new PC name when I recreate it in AD?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
don't create the account in ad manually....allow it to do it on it's own when you join the domain from the PC...so the steps would be

join workgroup on pc and change computer name just to be sure
restart pc
delete computer account from AD on the DC
attempt to join the domain on the PC
cross your fingers

when you join a domain with a pc the computer accoutn is automatically created in AD...you don't have to manually create the account...and often times...doing so will actually cause problems

PatsFan

PatsFan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I will give a try. Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
let me know what happens

PatsFan

PatsFan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nope, Didn't work getting same error. I am going to look into it a little further. I believe that the PC's that I have moved out to the branches are using there cache. Any suggestions would be apprecitated.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try doing an ipconfig /flushdns then ipconfig /registerdns on the machine and see what she does