Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Policy Manager

• Please log in to reply

TheNewY2K

TheNewY2K

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
So I'm trying to help a user in our office to minimize the power management so that her system doesn't go into standby mode, and she apparently has a Limited User Account. In fact, when I searched microsoft I found the below "correction" recommendation. However, I am unsure what to do after logging in as administrator. I've done that and changed the settings but they didn't carry over to the user's account. So now I'm befuddled. At any rate, here is helpful microsoft's answer:

SYMPTOMS
After you log on to a computer by using a Limited User Account, when you try to edit the Power Schemes or other settings on the computer, you receive one of the following error messages:
Power Policy Manager unable to set active policy
Access is denied
-or-
Power Policy Manager unable to set global policy
Access is denied
CAUSE
This behavior can occur because a Limited User does not have the necessary permissions for adjusting power management settings.
WORKAROUND
To work around this behavior, log on to the computer by using an account that has Administrator privileges.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
log on as administrator and change her account to either a power user or administrator account....then log in as her...make your changes then change her user back to limited

TheNewY2K

TheNewY2K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I think part of the problem may be that we have two domains on there. I tried logging in on the local computer domain as admin. I changed her settings to Power User and everything was fine. It's with the other domain that the problem lies. I've logged in as admin for that domain (which is the domain that our network is on) but in the Control Panel, the users are only those on the local desktop domain. So anyway, that's where I'm at. Hopefully I haven't confused you too much.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....so one computer joined to two domains? er...or are there just two domains that the user can log into (i.e. domain one...and domain two)..if that's the case...then in the useres dialog from control panel when logged in as domain admin for domain two add the username for user on domain two...then make them a power user and make the changes after logging in as that user