Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive making a whirring noise!

• Please log in to reply

Evil_Canary

Evil_Canary

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Heh. Last few days my hard drive has been making whirring noise like a noisey fan!!! It only about a year old and some advice on helping me find out the what the problem is would be useful. I havn't found any performance drop but its very noisey and irritating.

I can't for the life of me remember what make and model it is? Its Seagate (described as: ST3120827AS under the hardware section).

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
http://www.seagate.c...pport/seatools/ go here and use one of the tools that seagate provides for testing the drive

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Are you sure that it is the disk and not a fan? If it is the disk, then I would get all the data off it that you want/need as it will not be working much longer.

Testing the drive, as suggested above, is also a good idea.

Evil_Canary

Evil_Canary

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I keep thinking now it might be a fan - its hard to tell exactly where the noise is coming from. I'll go do the drive checks though

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Try using a small tube or hose. A stethoscope is quite useful (with the normal end removed). Automotive places most likely have something like that, or Harbor Freight.