Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Installing Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

Rob06

Rob06

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
I'm currently trying to install ubuntu on my desktop, but when I try to boot from the cd to install it, it hangs at "Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernal" please help.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Are you using the install CD or the Live CD? If you are not using the Live CD, you might want to try that to see if that can boot.

It may be that there is some device that is causing a problem with it.

You could also try Knoppix to see if that works. I tried the Live CD on a Compaq computer and it did not boot at all, but the machine has no problem with Mandrake, so I know there are some issues. You might also try other distros.

What kind of machine do you have?

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I have the live cd also and it does the same thing, it's homebuilt, it has a amd athlon xp 2200+ I think, 768 ram, ati x700, and an asus motherboard

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
are these the disks that you can order from the Ubuntu website or did you burn them yourself?

if you burned them yourself, your cd burner or your hdd may be at fault since the info is pretty much the same on both the livecd and the install cd.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
do you have enough ram? not having enough ram may cause it to stop and do nothing.

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I did burn them myself, and the computer has 768 mb of ram

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
you have more then enough ram for Ubuntu to work on your system. Minimum requirements are 64mb, although that makes gnome, and most every other application, almost unuseable.

I would recommend re-downloading, making sure you erase the current ISO versions you have, and burn new copies or you can order Ubuntu which is totally free. no shipping costs or anything.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
I see this thread never had a "conclusion". I'm having the same problem, except i have 256 ram, but I burnt the live cd at 18x, i'll try at 4x and see. But, I did run the "check cd for faults" option at the boot menu, and it found 0 errors... Btw underneath the line, it's actually a command promt i figured out (if you type on the keyboard, it shows up on the screen).

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
okay i burnt it at 1x, and it loaded while i was eating lunch. however, when i came to the comp, it looks like everything was loaded (there were three words at the top, menus i suppose), an icon in the lowerleft, a trashcan in the lowerright alone with 3 or 4 colors (themes?), but nothing worked! i clicked and clicked and clicked, nothing worked! i'll try again today maybe tomorrow.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
got it to work, idk what happened the other time though... in any case, i ordered ubuntu and kubuntu with shipit from their website for free, so i'll be sure i'm getting a good media. over the winter when i take the comp to the shop (reformat, my comp is so screwed up for a number of reasons, not malware related lol) i'll ask them to make a dual boot with either kubuntu or suse (along with the hardware upgrades i'll be getting, 250mb of RAM just isn't enough) so it should be pretty cool.

freek

freek

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Yeah, make sure your CD isn't defective, there's a option on how to do that on the install.