Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy Drive

• Please log in to reply

I rob petstorez

I rob petstorez

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I got a new computer and it didn't come with an A: drive.

So I took the one from my old computer and hope to put it in this one.

Its in place and plugged in, but for some reason its not being reconized by the computer

Please Help...

Thanks, Rob.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You need to tell the bios that you have another drive in the computer. The floppy drive is probably disabled. Hitting the delete key on your keyboard while the computer is booting up will get you into the bios. A few computers use the F1 key or ctrl-alt-delete to get to the bios. In the bios yopu will use the arrow keys to move around and the "enter" key to get into each section. The esc key gets you out of each section. Look for where you can enable the floppy drive. It will probably say it is disabled. Use the arrow keys to move to the floppy drive( it will be highlighted in blue when you are there). Hit the enter key to either bring up a window whare you can use the arrow keys to enable it or when you hit enter it will change to enabled. esc out of the windows until you are back to the main bios page. Hitting the F10 key will save your changes and the computer should reboot back into windows. Check to see if the floppy drive is now visible in device manager. You may need to right click on it and install the windows drivers for the drive. you will need the operating system CD to load the drivers.When your computer boots up it should tell you what key to hit to get to the bios. When you are getting out of the bios look for what key to hit to save your changes(it will tell you). Usually it will ask you to click on th Y (for yes) or N (for no) to save the changes. Click on the y key (for yes).

SRX660