Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can Any Windows Programs be Run on Mac?

• Please log in to reply

Learnatic

Learnatic

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hullo all,
I've just returned from a frustrating few days visit to a mates place trying to:
a) Open some of the .pps files that we all send and received from time to time, and
b) Copy his raw data files to a CD for backup. This entailed buying membership to Apple which he certainly doesn't want to do.
With Windows, it's virtually 'drag-and-drop' so I am amazed that Apple can be so stupid to make this a costly ordeal.
Is it a fact, Mac has it's good points but for the bloke who just wants to get on the net and have music fun, does he have to trade-in his Mac for a WIndows?
Thanks chums.

Advertisements

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
A) .PPS are Win32 PE files and therfore cannot be run on a Mac - Send him the .PPT file for him to open in Powerpoint.

B) Pop the blank CD in. Create a burn folder somewhere and drag the files to the burn folder and then burn.

Learnatic

Learnatic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
G'day Chopyaedoff and thanks for your interest.
If he has a Mac, where does he get the Windows Powerpoint program from to run the files? We are both beginners and don't know of the interfaces between the two systems.
We tried to copy his music files to a CD but it'd only do it as a music disk and not raw data, therefore not getting to much data stored. Can we ask it somehow to just copy files as raw data and not AAC's or things like that?
Thanks again, I'm sorry that you're helping absolute beginners.
Cheers,
M.

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
this is how it works, if you lets say do a powerpoint on a windows computer, when you go to save it add .ppt at the end so ex. cars.ppt and so when the person goes to open it on the mac powerpoint it will work. If he has the mac version apple works i think its called it should open.

-ankush

word doc- .doc
powerpoint- .ppt

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
DO YOU HAVE MAC OS X (TIGER) this is semi important for the directions I give.

Okay You need some help If you want to open windows files in a mac you can buy microsoft office for mac for about $300-500 or you can buy iwork which will open powerpoint and word files okay, iwork is about $80 and comes with keynote and pages, keynote I think is better than powerpoint anyway. If you want to open word files and ppt files for free you can download openoffice.org for the mac, this doesn't import the ppt transitions like keynote. It is also worth it to mention that mac can open word docs by defalt just right click the doc and go to open with to see a list of the apps that can open that file.

Now for the cd making. In os x tiger it is easy to make cds.
First the music cd. To make an audio cd that will play any cd player, load up the latest version of itunes and click itunes/preferences/advanced/burning/ then check audio cd. make a playlist insert a blank cd and hit burn and away you go.
Now all you have to do to create a data cd is hit file New Burn Folder fill it up with data, insert a blank cd and hit burn.

good luck and tell me if you need more help