Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error during Boot

• Please log in to reply

tsteve

tsteve

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I reformatted a computer, which I’ve done 15 times before without an issue – this time I ended up with an error and don’t know how to fix it. The computer is a Gateway Model GP6-400. I did a simple hard drive format using the fdisk, format and then loaded Windows98se, the operating system that was previously on it. Since I did that I get an error during the boot. Below is what the screen says at the time it stops. I have since installed Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade hoping it would fix the problem, but no luck.

PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0

4W4SBOXO.15A.0019.P14

Copyright info……….

Intel Pentium II processor 400 MHZ

224 MB System RAM

Legacy Keyboard….Detected

Legacy Mouse….Detected

Fixed Disk 0: QUANTUM FIREBALL CX6.8A-(PM)

ATAPI CD-ROM: SONY CD-RW CRX230EE-(SM)

Event Log messages, enter Setup to view

ERROR

02B0: Diskette drive A error

Press <ESC> to resume, <F!> to Setup

I press <ESC> and windows continues to Load. Once I’m at the desktop I go to “My Computer” it shows (2) 3 ˝” Floppy’s, an A and a B.

I right click on Floppy A and choose properties – under the general tab it says:

Type: 3 ˝” Floppy Disk

File System: RAW

I right click on Floppy B and choose properties – under the general tab it says:

Type: 3 ˝” Floppy Disk

File System: Unknown

Still in the same properties menu I now click on the Hardware tab and I see the following:

Hard Drive

CD-RW Drive

Floppy Disk Drive

MATSHITA LS-120 VER5 00

From there I select Floppy Disk Drive and hit properties and it reads:

Device Type: Floppy Disk drives

Manufacturer: (Standard floppy disk drives)

Device Status:

This device is working properly

Device Usage:

Use the device (enable)

I hit ok to close out this properties box and I’m back on the hardware tab and select MATSHITA LS-120 VER5 00 and hit properties. It reads the same as the previous floppy except for the following:

Why the error – why the two floppy’s and how do I fix it? Other than that everything seems to work fine. Help! Sorry for the lengthy explanation, don’t know where the problem lies and trying to give enough info to paint a picture.

Toni :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The old imation(original manufacturer) LS-120 floppy drive is not a regular floppy drive. It does not have regular drivers also. Either it is a rebranded LS-120 and you need the special drivers for it or it is just a regular floppy drive and you have picked the wrong drivers for it. The Imation was a special 120 MB floppy drive with special floppys. I have two of these drives, one a external USB and a second laptop pcmcia powered one. I have the drivers for both around here somewhare. I just havent used them in a long time. I also went out and bought 20 of the floppys when i heard that imation was going to quit producing the drives.

SRX660