Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple Operating Systems

• Please log in to reply

chrisstopher

chrisstopher

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I purchased a second hand hard driveor a mate recently that for some reson had and expired version of XP on it. I intalled a fresh copy but I don't think that I deleted the expired version.

Now when I start up it gives me an option of which operating system I would like to run.

How would I go about deleting the expired version so the selection screen doesn't appear.
It's not a big deal but just a bit of a pain.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi chrisstopher! Welcome to G2G!

Please go to START-->RUN and type c:\boot.ini and click OK. Notepad should now open. Please copy and paste the ENTIRE contents into your next post.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 05 May 2006 - 07:39 PM.

chrisstopher

chrisstopher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to MY COMPUTER and tell me how many Local Disks are showing.

Fenor

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey I Had The Exact Same Prob And That Solved It

Cheers Mates :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
JohnWilson,

I hope you didn't just go editting the boot.ini file without first verfiying that there wasn't two operating system folders actually on your computer. If you did check and the other folder did not exist, then that is fine. Just make sure that folder isn't there...

Fenor

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Fenor

What Happend Was, I Freshly Installed Windows XP Then Was Going To Update To Service Pack 2 But Something Went Wrong..

Then When I Boot Windows It Asks Me Which Operating System I Would Like To Use.

Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Setup

-John-

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Fenor

What Happend Was, I Freshly Installed Windows XP Then Was Going To Update To Service Pack 2 But Something Went Wrong..

Then When I Boot Windows It Asks Me Which Operating System I Would Like To Use.

Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Setup

-John-

Gotcha...

For future needs, you might want to check out THIS site, which explains how to integrate SP2 into your Windows XP CD. It makes installing Windows XP alot faster and easier. I do also have links on how to integrate all Windows Updates/Hotfixes into your XP CD, but don't want to overload you too quickly. :whistling: Once you have created the Windows XP CD w/ SP2 and you are interested in integrating the Updates/Hotfixes, then let me know.

Fenor

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah Its A Good And Helpfull Site, But I Have A Windows XP SP2 CD Now LoL :whistling:
But Hey,Thanks For The Info Really Appreciate It.

-JohnWilson-

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Good to hear. Now if you really want to setup that CD to be the ultimate XP installation CD, let me know. :whistling:

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 06 May 2006 - 10:53 AM.

Advertisements

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

• Pip
  • 7 posts
LoL :whistling: Ok Mate Lets Go Then .. Explain How Its Done

-JohnWilson-

chrisstopher

chrisstopher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Go to MY COMPUTER and tell me how many Local Disks are showing.

Fenor

There is only a System (C:)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Is there a WINDOWS folder AND and WINNT folder in there? If both are not there, please say which one is.

Fenor

chrisstopher

chrisstopher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
In the C: there is only a WINDOWS folder.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Good... Go back to START-->RUN and type C:\boot.ini. In the notepad window that appears, delete ONLY the following line:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect.

Then SAVE and close the window. Reboot your computer and that annoying message about what operating system you want to use will be gone.

Fenor