Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Media Center Edition

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I need to purchase a new computer for work. I found a nice deal, but it includes XP Media Center Edtion. I read the following from Microsoft's website:

<<Can I connect a new PC running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 to a work network or domain?
While you can access network resources on a work network or a domain, you cannot join a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 PC to the domain. PCs running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 are designed specifically for home use. Windows XP Professional features, specifically Domain Join and Cached Credentials (Credentials Manager for logons) are not included. As a result, you will be prompted for your logon user name and password to access network resources after you reboot or log back on to the PC. In addition, file shares or network resources that are set to require a domain-joined PC for access will not be available. Remote Desktop and Encrypting File System support are still included.>>

This has me somewhat worried because I have to set up my computer onto an NT network in the office. Am i understanding this correctly that Media Center can not be set up on a network? I know my way around computers, but am not network savy. All I really need to do is map the server drive, so I can access it through a lettered drive in a DOS prompt. Is this not possible in Media Center?

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check if they will supply it with XP Pro instead, you need the XP CD, so if it is a pre-loaded deal, ask about about paying for an OEM CD because repairing the install will be much easier

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
thanks for the response. They don't supply it with Pro or Home, only Media center. I bought it and will keep my fingers crossed. I was able to get a XP Home machine onto the network at work, and someone who I trust told me if I was able to do that, I should be able to do it with Media Center.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Let us know how it goes. I'm interested in the results. :whistling:

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I was able to get Media Center onto the network...though when I mapped the drive, I had to type in the actual network connection (i.e. \\example\example ), it wouldn't let me just browse for it.

But there was so much crap pre-installed on this sucker that I just wiped the hard drive clean and installed Professional. I had no problem with Media Center; I just wanted a clean install of whatever OS I use, rather than the restore image they provide that has a bunch of other programs installed.