Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updating Soundmax digital audio driver

• Please log in to reply

Purplehaze21

Purplehaze21

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am currently running on a Dell Dimension 8250 - windows XP. When I go into my device manager or run dxdiag my audio comes up as SoundMax digital audio, my current version is from 8/5/2002. I am trying to update this driver to the most recent version because im haveing issues with a game (everquest 2) that used to run perfectly on this same computer a year ago. I have not changed or added any of my hardware since then, and have tried a complete reinstall of windows.

I am haveing trouble finding a more recent version, most sites seem to only offer up to 2003. When I try to download directly from the dell website, I put in my system information (dimension 8250 XP) and search for the latest drivers. The results of my search are two audio drivers, neither of which are SoundMax. I attempted to install a version of the SM driver from 2003ish but when I attempted to run the install it got to 100% then I got this "driver not found! reboot your system, and run this setup again." I then attempted several times to unistall original driver, reboot, install new one. Or to just keep the original driver and select update instead of removing and installing the new. However, I kept getting this same error.

I then came to these forums and searched around finding a couple posts on soundmax. I came accross a download for a Soundmax driver from 2005. Forgive me but I cant remember which post I got the link from, however I believe it was version 5.12.366x. So I have tried updating to this version but now im getting the error message "The audio driver files do not support your computer hardware. Note: If you unistalled audio software without restarting your PC, restart now, then run this setup again."

I have tried reinstalling my old driver, then unistalling it and rebooting and running this setup again. However, I keep getting this error. Am I doing something in the wrong order or is this the wrong driver? Soundmax was the default one that came with my computer and ive never had trouble with it. However according to Dell the drivers for Dimension 8250 are :Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio - Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital. I assume it would be bad to install one of those on my computer, or does it not make a difference? I appreciate any information or tips that could be of assistance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have a motherboard CD, or utilities CD from Dell, install the soundcard drivers from there

It should be easier to update working drivers

Purplehaze21

Purplehaze21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have no problem installing the original driver that came with my computer from the cd or driver folder. MY problem is trying to update it. I keep getting those error messages mentioned in my first post, and I catn figure out why. I have the original installed and have tried installing two newer versions of the soundmax driver. No luck.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Why are you updating the drivers to begin with? Were you experiencing any problems with audio playback that prompted you to try updating the drivers? If you only tried updating the drivers because of the driver date you saw in dxdiag, then don't bother. If the sound is working fine, leave it be. Like the old addage, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :whistling:

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 06 May 2006 - 10:37 AM.

Purplehaze21

Purplehaze21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am trying to update this driver to the most recent version because I'm having issues with a game (everquest 2) that used to run perfectly on this same computer a year ago. I haven't played this game in a little over a year, in that time they updated their game engine. I am not sure if it is my sound driver or not, but I've tried everything else I could think of. Your saying nothing has been upgraded in the audio quality in the past 4 years that could make my 2002 driver incompatible with something that came out within the last year?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you post the exact make and model of the soundmax card

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for multimedia / audio adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

Purplehaze21

Purplehaze21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
my multimedia adaptar comes back with "Intel 82801BA ICH2 - AC'97 Audio controller. However when I run dxdiao my "Sound 1" is SoundMax digital audio - when I uninstall this driver I have no sound at all. Sound 2 is Modem #1 line playback. Intel AC'97 isnt listed here. So which is the one that I need to update, intel or soundmax. If I uninstall soundmax driver and no longer have sound how is updating my the intel AC'97 going to help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is the soundmax a seperate card or onboard

Purplehaze21

Purplehaze21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am pretty sure its on board. Everything in my computer is from factory, nothing added.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What does it have for motherboard chipset

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
And the motherboard make and model

Purplehaze21

Purplehaze21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am not sure exactly how to check my motherboard chipset. I am running an intel p4, im pretty sure thats what your asking for? Is the only way to check what your asking to open up the box?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
From Everest, summary, look on right

Purplehaze21

Purplehaze21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Intel Tehama i850(E) - Intel p4 3048mhz (23x 133) - Dell Dimension 8250 - Bios type = Pheonix (10/22/02)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sorry this is taking so long, but best to get it right

Can you check with this to get the soundcard name

http://support.dell....&c=us&cs=&s=gen