Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Connecting to school wireless network

• Please log in to reply

Paul Bennett

Paul Bennett

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Im trying to connect my laptop to my schools wireless network.

I have the wep key, and I detect the netowrk fine. A netowrk address is assigned, and it says I am "connected", just like any other wireles netowrk I connect to. Signal srenght is excellent.

However, I cant go to any web pages. The school does use a proxy server. How do I need to configure this?

What am I missing? I am fairly positive it just some simple setup/configuration step im missing. My friend has his OS X laptop running fine.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Paul,

To setup a Proxy Server, open Internet Explorer, goto Tools --> Internet Options --> Click on the Connections tab --> Click the button LAN Settings.. --> In the new window, tick the box beside Use automatic configuration script --> In the text box labeled Address you will need to enter the URL of your School's Proxy Server; ie: http://www.myschool.edu/proxy/server --> You will, of course, need to find your schools address :whistling: Ensure that Automatically detect settings is unchecked. Press OK. You should now be able to browse..? If not, reboot your laptop and try again.

- Dan