Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trouble deciding proccessor upgrade.

• Please log in to reply

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hello, Im going to be upgrading my system with money I made on revver.com! and I was wondering which processor I should get out of these two:

1.) http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103484
Or
2.) http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103535

there basically the same price +/- a dollar or two. (154 dollars)

if you dont want to fallow the link:

1.) 64 bit Support: Yes
Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache: 512KB
Multi-Core: Single-Core
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Operating Frequency: 2.0GHz
Process Type: 90 nm
Series: Athlon 64
2000mhtz F.S.B

or

2.) 64 bit Support: Yes
Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache: 512KB
Multi-Core: Single-Core
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW! Professional
Operating Frequency: 2.4GHz
Process Type: 0.13 µm
Series: Athlon 64
1600mhtz F.S.B. and one last thing, if the socket 754 is better choice then should I get it w/ or w/out stock fan? Thanks for any help!
Adam

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The 939 processors are faster than the 754's. the 90 nm dies make it faster and slightly cooler running. If you run games the 939 also supports dual channel memory while the 754 does not.

Since the time i bought a XP barton 2600 that ran very hot (48° idle and up to 72°)i have never installed a AMD processor without a aftermarket heatsink/fan assembly. I am very partial to the copper base coolers. The stock athlon is aluminium.

I liked this one but it is very loud when running full throttle. I could not stand the noise after a while.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835106038

The one i liked best was also the quietest. Its heavy and big but it sure works well. For your processor its the Zalman CNPS-7700-Cu. The only problem i had was fin interference with a power supply on one mtherboard. My dremel tool fixed that quickly and trimming the fins did not seem to affect it. This fan dropped the case temp a couple of degrees along with the bartons temp range to 42° to 61° now. I know it doesnt seem like much but i cant feel the heat coming out the back of the case as bad and its a lot quieter than the stock fan.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
939 stock coolers are excellent there is no reason for aftermarket with them, they beat alot of aftermarket coolers performance wise if not in noise(they arent the worst but they arent as quiet as they could be).

Most people can even overclock reasonably on the stock AMD cooler its that good.

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
754 doesnt support dual channel? oh and whats the best mobo for easy over clock I have a soyo mobo w/ an amd 3000 xp, o.c.ing is as easy as turing up the f.s.b. but my sisters comp has a 64 ocing doesnt look as easy on her mobo.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its rarely as easy as just turning up the fsb as on stock voltages and timings the ram will throw in the towel pretty quickly without altering voltages you wont get much of an overclock.

DFI boards are good for ocing so are MSI and Abit motherboards,

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Asus mobo's also OC very easily. The one I have I can actually OC it from the desktop or I can OC it from the BIOS. Really easy, I had mine running @ 2.5Ghz (normally a 1.8) with no problems temps went up a little bit, but I guess thats the price you pay.
-P.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I and some of the other staffers dont reccomend asus though due to there poor reliability.