Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Dekstop Connection

• Please log in to reply

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
I have two computers in my house ones upstairs and one downstairs. When the kids are on and there is a problem, I have to go back and forth to fix whatevers wrong. Well I tried to setup the remote Desktop thing so that I can just control the other one from here miking my life a little simplier. I followedd the directios left by others on various websites and I run into a problem. When it gets to time when I can log into it I recieve a message stating, "Unable to log you on becasue of an account restriction." Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you followed this guide?

http://www.microsoft...emoteintro.mspx

The only other thing i can think of is that you are not logged in as administrator.

SRX660

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
I used the guide the first time when I tried to set it up and thats when I ran into this problem. I'm pretty sure I'm the administrator on both computers so I don't think that could be it.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If there is one of the computers with a blank password, remote desktop won't work.

You can disable blank password restrictions by using a policy. To locate and change this policy:
1. Click Start, point to Run, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK to start the Group Policy Editor.
2. Open Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.
3. Double-click Limit local account use of blank passwords to consol logon only.
4. Click Disabled, and then click OK.
5. Quit Group Policy Editor.

When run, this software allows older Windows platforms to remotely connect to a computer running Windows XP Professional with Remote Desktop enabled. Yhe host computer must have XP Pro to be able to use remote desktop. XP Home can act as the client in a Remote Desktop session; only Pro can be the server.

Your host computer should be running the Pro version and you did not say if it was. So far thats all i can think of.

One other thing is that you must have windows messenger running on both computers.

SRX660

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
So many requirements for this simple task. There must be an easier way for me to control one computer from the other.