Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with installing a new cpu

• Please log in to reply

TAGTA36

TAGTA36

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, was wondering if anyone could help me out with a problem, im having after installing a cpu? I recently bought a pentium 3 866 MHZ 133 slot 1 proccesor off ebay. I have an old dell precision 220, that had a pentium 3 733 MHZ proccesor in it. I removed the old proccesor and popped in the new one. I booted up my computer and i received a screen that said boot to last known good configuration, or safe mode etc. i booted to last good, and the computer procceded to reboot again so i hit F2 and went into the bios, everything looked good, it read the new proccesor, and everything, so i exited out and it took me back to the last good config screen i booted to that and it started to load windows after it did a scan. windows came up and all my files and everything were there, i thought great it actually worked, but then i got that error, from microsoft telling me to send a report because there was a serious system error, i clicked no and then the computer rebooted, after that the same thing happens over and over again, as soon as i click no on the send error report the computer reboots, it goes to a blue screen with a list of errors for 1/2 a second not even long enough to read one word, and restarts over and over again. Does anyone have any ideas? If i leave the send error report window open and dont close it. my computer will stay on and i can surf the web and click and run any other programs, but something is just not right with the cpu. has any one had this problem? Is there something i should do on the mobo, or in the bios? I am new to this. please help?
Thanks for any info

Advertisements

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
When replacing any major system componant you should ALWAYS do a new install. Otherwise the drivers get mucked up.

TAGTA36

TAGTA36

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, thank you for your reply. so i should do a new install of what? please forgive me i am a newbie. I noticed that Dell has a new flashbios download for my specific computer should i do that? or do you mean i should reinstall windows XP? Eventually i am gonna buy a new faster computer so i dont have to worry about this stuff. but for now i have to deal with what i got. Thanks again for your input