Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Remove Java RE SE v.1.4.1_02

• Please log in to reply

periwinkle

periwinkle

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I recently had to remove my Antivirus (Norton) because it was believed to be corrupt. After I reinstalled it, ran Live Update and a scan (which found nothing), I tried to play a game on my game site, but I kept getting messages that my Java was corrupt. This problem with the so-called "corrupt Java" had been happening about once a day for several weeks. When I would try to load the game a second time, it always loaded. So there was some problem that the game site kept finding with Java, but then it would always be corrected.

In the past day, I decided to remove Java 2 Runtime Environment (SE v1.4.1_02) from the my Control Panel (add/remove) utility, but have found that I am unable to remove one file. I removed all the Java Update files, which were about 150MB each. There were 3 files: Update 4, 5 and 6. When I tried to remove the JRE SE v1.4.1_02, I couldn't do it.

I get this error: "An installation support file could not be installed. The system cannot find the file specified." The Java file is 0.62MB. Since then, I have run two antivirus checks: one with Norton (my primary) and one with AVG. Neither has found anything. I have also run both Ad-Aware SE and an online Trend Micro antispyware check. Trend Micro found several possible spyware cookies. I got rid of all of them. Ad-Aware found nothing. I have had this problem before where I cannot remove a program from the Add/Remove programs utility in my Control Panel. It is very frustrating, to say the least!! How do I remove this file? I cannot play my game and am suffering from serious withdrawals. All joking aside, I do need to have Java working in my computer and this has never been a problem in the past. If it stopped working, I'd remove it and download it again, then everything would be fine. I just don't understand why the file cannot be removed from Control Panel. :whistling:

Thank you for anything help you can provide. The Geeks to Go have always helped me!

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
It is possibly due to the order in which you removed your Java updates. For example, if you removed update 6 before removing update 4, then some of the files that update 4 could have been deleted. Which could cause the uninstaller for update 4 to become "confused" and stop working.

Let's try this:

Download Dial-a-fix from http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

When you download it, double-click on it to extract all of its files. Then open the folder it creates. Double-click on the file called Dial-a-fix.

At the top-left corner, check the boxes next to Install Windows Script Host and Install VB6 Runtime. At the bottom, click on GO.

When it is finished fixing/installing, reboot your computer. Now go to the Java Download Center. Choose the Online Installation. This will install the latest Java onto your computer.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi Computer Wiz,

Okay, I downloaded Dial-a-Fix, but afer I clicked on the folder, there are no boxes to check. I think you have your system prefs set up differently than mine. When I click on the folder, I go directly inside of it, and see several icons. I'm attaching the picture, although I've never yet been able to successfully attach anything to a post in this forum. Anywhere else I can do it, but for some reason I've been unable to do it here on Geeks to Go. There is only one file that sounds like the one you want me to open: vbrun60sp6.exe. I can't tell which of the others is Windows Script Host.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Open the file Dial-a-fix and then you'll see the boxes I'm talking about. They're in the program, not the folder.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
There is something weird going on here. I performed the Dial-a-Fix procedures you told me to do, and I was going to download the latest Java, but I had already done that earlier today. I restarted the computer like it said to do, then I tried to load a game. It looked like everything was going okay. The usual game window opened up, and that hasn't happened since yesterday. But then my whole explorer crashed! The resulting page told me to update my microsoft since updates just came out yesterday. So I did. Now, when I try to load the game, nothing happens at all.

It's really weird for the game window to not even open and nothing to happen. At first I thought this was a firewall issue, but I disabled it several times to try to load the game, and the game wouldn't even load. No window opened up - nothing. At least when the game didn't load in the past, I'd get a message from Pogo (game site) saying my Java was corrupt, but this time, absolutely nothing happened. I just don't know what's wrong. The problem with nothing at all happening has occurred all day long today.

I still can't get rid of that partial file in Control Panel. I keep getting the same error I got earlier about: "An installation support file could not be installed. The system cannot find the file specified." I'm going to restart since I have this new MS update.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Okay, I'm attaching the HiJack This file as a text file. Hope it works! Eureka! I guess it did. Why didn't anyone ever tell me to change the file type?

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Some people don't have the extensions visible, and most of the time HijackThis logs are posted (in the malware forum), rather than attached. So that bit of instruction is usually left out.

Now, I see 2 anti-virus programs (AVG and Norton). Having more than 1 will cause conflicts. In my book, AVG is junk, but other Techs would disagree. As for Norton, it has gone downhill lately. It's not as good as it use to be. In fact, it can even cause problems.

While I find it unlikely Norton is the cause of your problems, it is certainly possible. For the sake of troubleshooting, remove it. And if you have any problems removing it, use this Norton Removal Tool. That's right, there is actually a tool to remove Norton. That's how bad it has become!

After you remove it, return to the Java website. Do the Offline installation this time. And, if any problems occur, or if you get any error messages, please take screenshots of them so I can see what is going on.

To take a screenshot, press Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Okay, here's another oddity: just today when I tried to move files from one folder to another I got this error message: "Please wait while Windows configures Easy CD and DVD Creator 6." There is no reason whatsoever this should be happening. Things appear to be going haywire! This is just so random. Yes, I have the Easy CD & DVD Creator file, but I don't know what the heck is happening. I think I need to do an online virus check.

I have to say, I feel very uncomfortable removing Norton since it is my primary AV & my firewall. And, secondly, AVG has found viruses when I've downloaded something before. What AV do you recommend using? I simply must have a firewall. Besides, I have limited funds, as I am a teacher, so I don't think I can purchase an expensive firewall package when I still have 5 months left on my Norton plan. I realize that Norton really has gone downhill, as you say, but I must have a firewall. However, I can honestly say that Norton hasn't found a single virus in about 6 months, but AVG has.

One last thing: I tried loading my game again with the firewall turned off, and again, my browser game windows (2) both crashed. Then, since the firewall was off, the MS site popped open recommending that I remove add-on files from the browser. I removed several add-ons, and am now running an MS Windows Live Safety Center scan. I plan to restart yet once again, after the Windows scan finishes.

This is very frustrating, and I believe my computer is acting like it has a virus. There are just too many weird things happening. Any other suggestions?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Use Avast as your anti-virus. It has multiple real-time protection scanners.

http://www.avast.com...ast_4_home.html

If you switch to Avast (which is free), you must get rid of your other 2 anti-virus programs in order to avoid conflicts.

While I doubt infection (due to your HJT log), it can't hurt to have an online scan by Kaspersky. After it downloads what it needs to scan, go into the settings and make it a Thorough (or maybe it was Extended) scan.

Save the report and post it.

If all it finds are tracking cookies, which is what I'm expecting, go ahead and repair windows. You will need an XP CD in order to do this. If you're not sure how to do a repair, check out the following link: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

If you have problems, here is an alternate way to repair XP:

Alternate XP Repair Method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system. After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates and possibly your video card driver.

Then, once we know your computer is clean, and the operating system is fully functional, if the problem continues, we should be able to narrow it down.

Keep me informed about your progress.

Advertisements

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Okay, I downloaded the Avast, but there's still the issue of a firewall...any recommended products? I just really feel vulnerable without that. I have Norton Internet Security, you see, so if I disable it, I believe that's the whole kit and kaboodle. I will have no firewall protection, except for the measily little Windows Firewall. Any suggestions for this?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Personally, I don't use a firewall, due to all the real-time protection that Avast uses. It's basically a firewall, but it operates on a database. In other words, it won't block a brand new infection, since it won't be in the database immediately.

So if you want a true firewall, one that asks you every single time a program accesses your computer (which is how you can block the new infections), use Zone Alarm. Zone Alarm is free & friendly and highly popular. There are 2 other good ones that I know about, but are no longer available. :blink: I have yet to try Kaspersky's firewall, but if it is anything like their anti-virus, it is sure to be the best there is!

the measily little Windows Firewall

I couldn't have said it better :whistling:

Did you do the online scan with Kaspersky? If you have anything, Kaspersky is sure to find it. They have the largest database around! But, if Kaspersky only finds cookies, go ahead and do the Windows repair, since cookies would never cause the problems you're having.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 06 May 2006 - 10:47 PM.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I am doing the scan right now. It's 30% complete and has already found one virus (!) and 5 infected objects! Ay ay ay! (That's Spanish for ay yi yi, just in case it didn't translate). At least this explains a lot of the weird things that have been happening.

I didn't mention that I recently had to remove the Bitzi Bitcollider (for use with Limewire) because it had stopped working (as it does every few months or so). I also removed Limewire (I don't remember why, but it had to go as well). I plan to reinstall it or BitTorrent after this. I was told by an actual geek that I know (I say that reverently) that I should drop Limewire and get BitTorrent instead. So, I may do that. Right now, I'm just trying to see what's wrong. My next step is to remove Norton Internet Security and then install Avast. I did use Zone Alarm for quite a long time, but found it to be very annoying. Yes, it certainly does what it's supposed to do, but I think I had some major problems with it, and I finally just got rid of it. It seemed to constantly be popping up to prompt me about sites, when I'm certain I had already visited them. It seems like it took a very long time to get it to work well with my game site. Since my game site uses several different pop-up windows with different names, I remember that caused a lot of headaches. It is free, that's the good thing, but I found it difficult to work with. Maybe it won't be, now that I've had a break from it for many many months.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I too have reservations about Zone Alarm. But due to my lack of testing firewalls, I don't know what good free ones are out there. The other 2 I knew about are no longer available. With Avast + Spyware Blaster + Spybot's Immunize feature + my good surfing habits, I don't need a firewall at all. :whistling:

It's 30% complete and has already found one virus (!) and 5 infected objects!

Hmm...HijackThis is suppose to detect 95% of infections...interesting. I can't wait to see the results! This could be your problem. I told you Kaspersky was the best! :blink:

I also removed Limewire (I don't remember why, but it had to go as well)

Perhaps this is why:

http://www.spywarein...m/articles/p2p/

Edited by computerwiz12890, 06 May 2006 - 11:33 PM.

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Sorry to pop in, but couldn't resist. :whistling:

Here are 3 more free firewalls:

Kerio
Outpost
Sygate

Yes, Kerio and Sygate are no longer free at the homesites, but free versions are still being hosted elsewhere.