Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive making clicking noises

• Please log in to reply

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
I think my DVD drive is an NEC 3500. It came in my Packard Bell 1314 which i've had for just over a year now and recently when a DVD has been inserted it has made clicking noises and will not play (I've tried windows media player, real player and AVS DVD player). On wmp an error message like this comes up after i have tried to play the DVD, "Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a problem occurred with digital copyright protection." I don't know what's wrong with it it's not a copied DVD either its a real one (Family guy - extremely funny :whistling: ) Anyway does anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it? Also when i tried to rip it with ImTOO DVD Ripper it will only open if i click open ISO files and will freeze if i click open DVD folder. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 – Supercalfraglistic – [NEC 3500 DVD Clicking Noise]
8th May 2006

Hello –

think my DVD drive is an NEC 3500. It came in my Packard Bell 1314 which i've had for just over a year now and recently when a DVD has been inserted it has made clicking noises and will not play (I've tried windows media player, real player and AVS DVD player)

Here is Search Routine – for - All Instances - of these drivers on your PC – secdrv* and sptd* -

1- Click on -Start] Button
2- Highlight - Search
3- Click on - For Files or Folders
4- Check - Advance Options - & - Check - Search Subfolders
5- Type secdrv* in the Search for files or folders named Block
6- Click - Search Now Button
7- Type sptd* in the Search for files or folders named Block
8- Click - Search Now Button
9- Post back the results of all the instances of these two searches for - secdrv* - & - sptd* driver files –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 08 May 2006 - 12:45 PM.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
I don't understand what you want me to post back, if it's the files it found then for secdrv* :
secdrv
secdrv
secdrv.PNF
secdvr
sptd* :
no results

Edited by Supercalifragilistic, 08 May 2006 - 12:47 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Jack123

02 – Supercalfraglistic – [NEC 3500 DCD Clicking Noise]
8th May 2006

I need to see all the instances of these two driver files – secdrv* & sptd* – they will generally have the similar – secdrv####.sys & sptd####.sys – plus secdrv.sys & sptd.sys – which are legitimate drivers – but the ones with #### associated with them are the Malware drivers -

Jack123

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
It's wierd yesterday i played a streets dvd on my PC and it worked fine. It sdeems to be just family guy, all 3 seasons too. RealPlayer comes up with cannot exchange something about copyright protection. The DVD's work on my XBOX ad normal DVD Player though.

BTW. the results i posted before your last post were the results of search. I didn't see anything like ####

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
03 – Supercalfraglistic – [NEC 3500 DCD Clicking Noise]
8th May 2006

Ok if you did not find anything – then it might just be a DVD Drive failure – I will have to compose a different set of troubleshooting procedure –

I was trying to key on – the – Digital Copyright Protection – notation – Thinking that it might be – Malware issue -

Jack123

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
If this has anything to do with it i have ripped the DVD's before to put them on my iPod with DVD decrypter. Could that have done anything to the DVD?

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
04 – Supercalfraglistic – [NEC 3500 DCD Clicking Noise]
8th May 2006

It's wierd yesterday i played a streets dvd on my PC and it worked fine. It sdeems to be just family guy, all 3 seasons too. RealPlayer comes up with cannot exchange something about copyright protection. The DVD's work on my XBOX ad normal DVD Player though.

Well – Ok – it may still be related to – a Security Update –

How about the Clicking Noise – [??] when does this occur ??

If this has anything to do with it i have ripped the DVD's before to put them on my iPod with DVD decrypter. Could that have done anything to the DVD?

Yes – that goes along with my original – Malware Issues – Some of these – Security Updates – uses some pretty drastic methods – Not always – very ethical either – when they incorporate variants of [Rootkit] Malware

Our Post timing is out of sync – I need to mull this data over – also can you give me a time frame of your recent reception of a Windows Update –

Jack123

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
A What?

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
05 – Supercalfraglistic – [NEC 3500 DCD Clicking Noise]
8th May 2006

A What?

Can you give me a time frame of your recent reception of a Windows Update – Periodically, Microsoft will download a – Windows Update – I am asking if, if you can recall, when the latest update was installed – To see if we can relate this update to your problem -

One thing that you might do – If you have this – I’m too DVD – running when Windows is started – Try to have it - Not To Be Running - whenever you start windows. Then see if you can Run the – The Family Guy – DVD – with that Program - not running – You will have to restart the PC – after setting this option –

2nd Item to try – Do a search again for the – secdrv.sys – driver & find its location. Then by using the Windows Explorer – try to disable it by – changing the – .sys – extension to – .old – extension – Restart PC – and then with – I’m too DVD program not running – Try playing the Family Guy DVD again – – with this – driver disabled – Report any programs that show a problem with this action – I do not think it is required for anything to run – but if it is a problem – then revise it back to the – .sys – extension by using Windows Explorer –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 08 May 2006 - 05:24 PM.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
The last update was about 2 weeks ago, i think it was that validation tool thing, anyway ImTOO doesn't open up at startup, nothing does, except AVG.

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
You can also get a DVD drive lens cleaner which comes in packages at Wal-Mart and other places. Also this DVD can be a faulty one because I just got my Dell XPS 600 Renegade Limited and I tried playing a DVD in it but it wouldn't work. I knew it couldn't be the computer because the thing isn't even a month old and it's a Renegade :whistling:. So I called Dell and asked the what the problem is. They said it could be a faulty drive. I thought to myself what :blink: :help:??? I just paid $10,000 for this system and your telling me there is a problem with it? I refused to believe this so I called again the next day and that rep. said that the DVD could be fake. I was relieved that it wasn't my computer. So the next day I brought the DVD back and I asked them to check to see if this was authentic. They checked and told me that apparently this was a fake DVD that must of been reproduced illigally, so they gave me a different copy and that worked fine.

All in all, you should go and return that DVD and get a new one and try that. If that doesn't work try updating the drivers to the DVD drive. If that doesn't work call the computer manufactorer and see if you should get a new one. :)

Edited by Anton1382, 10 May 2006 - 07:37 PM.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
The thing is I know it's not the DVD Drive because it plays other DVD's. It's just family guy that won't play.

Btw, $10,000 :whistling: what are the specs for that thing?

Edit: I didn't see your signature, lol

Edited by Supercalifragilistic, 11 May 2006 - 10:36 AM.