Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore options

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Is there any way to change some options in System Restore so it doesn't touch a particular folder? I know System Restore isn't supposed to mess with saved documents and personal files, but I have some files in a specific folder that are used with a DOS program. And their file extention is the same as I believe another Windows program (QUE and INS). And when I do a system restore, it reverts these files to their previous state or creates/deletes them if they were created or deleted since the restore date.

thanks for any help,
mike.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
System restore is not that tweekable. Sorry.

What are you using it for? Maybe I can find an alternate solution to your problem, if you are having a problem.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 06 May 2006 - 07:10 PM.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Thanks for the response. I'm not having a current problem, but the last couple times that I used system restore (due to major problems I was having with my computer, which it did fix), it reverted the files with the extention QUE and INS back to how they were at an earlier state.

It's not huge problem, I was just wondering if it was tweakable.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not a sure fire sollution...but...when you know you're about to have to do a system restore...go to that location and change the file extensions...then do your system restore...then go change them back

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
very simple solution, dsenette. a small batch file should take care of it. Thanks for the use of your brain power!

mike.