Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help on DVD MPEG-2 Encoding

• Please log in to reply

Jeffho

Jeffho

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
I am new to the world of video editing and hope someone out there is kind enough to help me out on this. I have shot some video footage on my video camera which I have downloaded to my PC as .AVI file. I then used TMPGenc to encode the .AVI file into MPEG-2 (DVD i.e. one as a "Movie Clip"file type & the other as a "MPEG File"type) file. However, when I tried to burn it on a DVD-R using NTi CD & DVD Maker application, I could not burn it because the files are not .vob, etc. files. What did I do wrong? How do I need to convert those "Movie Clip"file & "MPEG File" file into these .vob, etc files to be able to burn them as a DVD so that I can watch them on a DVD player?

Please kindly help! Many thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jeff

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download the trial of Nero, this is to check there isn't any other reason the PC won't burn the files

You can use Nero to either burn the file you have or transcode the AVI file

http://filehippo.com...nero_7_premium/

Jeffho

Jeffho

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your reply, Keith. I have just downloaded the Nero Trial and tried to burn a DVD using the MPEG-2 file but I still could not do it. Somehow when you burn a DVD Video file, your files has to be .vob, ifs, etc. format before Nero allows you to drag and drop the files into its VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders for burning onto a DVD.

Nevertheless, I have tried to recode the file which I have successfully done. However, there are just too many steps involved 1) Capture the video from my Video cam as AVI file (13 GB for 1 hour footage), then 2)use TMPGEnc to encode it to MPEG-2 file (3-4 GB for 1 hour footage), and 3) User Nero to recode it before it can be burn to a DVD for me to be able to play on my DVD setop player.

Any idea how I could convert my MPEG-2 files into .vob, .ifs, files for burning into a DVD Video? Or any advice on how I can cut out 1 or 2 steps above so that it doesn't take too long for me to burn it on a DVD-R from the footage on my Sony DVD videocam?

Any advice/suggestions is very much appreciated as I am still a newbie to video editing.

Many thanks again, Keith!

Regards,
Jeff

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Nero will take it from AVI to DVD Disc, click start smart, make dvd movie, add video files, add the AVI

There is an option to record direct from camera but I haven't used that, though you could, either with a RW disc in case it goes wrong, or record to a folder on the drive

If you want to check the first part, you can also record that to a folder and you will see they have been converted to .vob etc