Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

can i transfer files to new computer?

• Please log in to reply

NE_girl

NE_girl

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
My HP seems to be on its very last leg and it looks as though a major purchase is inevitable. I've managed to create floppy backups of most of my documents, but there are still pictures and other assorted "stuff" that I'd like to take with me when the ol' girl kicks the bucket. Now, for the really simplistic question: Is there a way (aside from creating floppy backups) that I can copy or transfer my old files (and even programs?) to a new computer?

I tried selecting specific files and right-clicking within the dialog box and choosing "Send to mail recipient" but the email window won't open, so it seems that is not an option.

Thanks for being so patient with the non-computer savvy--you make me less afraid to ask the obviously stupid questions, so thanks for that. :whistling:

christine

Advertisements

NE_girl

NE_girl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
FYI, my OS is Windows 98, not XP, as my profile info suggests. (never mind--i fixed it)

cm

Edited by NE_girl, 06 May 2006 - 08:48 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The easist way for you to save all the data from your old computer is to pull the old drive out of the old computer and install it as a slave in your new computer. I have done this many times on computers. It is not that hard to do. I dont even install the hard drive. I set it in place( usually on top of the other hard drive), hookup the connections, turn on the computer and use explore's copy and paste to move whole folders from one HD to the other. It makes it easy if you have 60 to 120 gigs of data to move. If you would like instructions on how to make the old drive a slave, i will make a detailed answer.

Another option here is to use a online storage like box.net to store a gig of data for free. You will have to spend the time copying the files to the website storage and then back to your new computer, but it is doable.

SRX660