Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"A network cable is unplugged" error message

• Please log in to reply

link_417

link_417

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just moved back to my house from college and hooked up my computer, but I'm unable to go online because my computer says that a network cable is unplugged. The cat5 cable I use to connect to the internet was plugged in however, so I switched the cable out with one that was definitely working and I sill got the error message.

I'm extremely confused/frustrated because my internet was working fine just yesterday (when I was still at school). Any help is greatly appreciated, because I HATE using the family computer :whistling:

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
are using dial-up modem if you are then click on ........Right CLICK MY COMPUTER I CON .....UNINSTALL I..........HARDWARE ...........WIL SHOW UP ..............ON TASK BAR CLICK ON THAT .............IT WILL BE REINSTALLED ............TRY your connection.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
sorry click my computer.....................then hardware.......then device manager......... click on modems ...........uninstall. then your tools will say found new hardware............. reinstall and use it try it ...it works

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can also try this

http://www.geekstogo...n=download&id=7

link_417

link_417

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't think I'm using a dial-up modem (that would mean I'm connected through my phone line, right?), I think I have DSL. Should I still try your solution? Sorry, I'm a dunce when it comes to computers. And my dad's settings on this computer won't let me click that link. Thank you guys for helping me

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is what the programme from the link does

"This Utility Restores (WinSock and TCP/IP) Registry Keys, that may become Corrupt after Removing the Host Program that Modified them."

Basically some viruses and ad-ware (New.net for example), modify your tcp/ip or internet connectivity settings. Removed said program can leave lingering entries and that may be causing problems. I've used this tool successfully for over a year now, just to make sure that network settings where restored.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I don't think I'm using a dial-up modem (that would mean I'm connected through my phone line, right?), I think I have DSL. Should I still try your solution? Sorry, I'm a dunce when it comes to computers. And my dad's settings on this computer won't let me click that link. Thank you guys for helping me

If you are using two PCs on one DSL modem, are you using a router or wireless connection? What you probably will have to do is use the DSL Modem Install CD and set up the drivers for the ethernet connection. Use what your dad did to setup the family PC. Wireless would use its own install CD to setup connections.

I had the same report about a cable disconnected, but it really wasn't the problem. These generic error reports are sometimes confusing, sometimes funny when you find the real cause of error.

Ron