Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME AFTER DEFRAGGING

• Please log in to reply

Ange|

Ange|

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Really urgent ! I helped my sister defrag her computer using Perfect Disk 7 and now when i reboot, i get this error message: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME 0000ED (0x8236D9E0, 0xc000009c, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
She has really important university assignments/ files and she didn't backup her files.
I tried booting in safe mode and it just gave me the same blue screen error msg.
Most importantly, is there a way of backing up the files?
And is there a solution to this problem?
God I am so dead!!

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Ok, since others, who are more familar with XP, have not responded, I will give you some suggestions and hopefully others will chime in with other suggestions.

The first thing I would try is to boot from XP install CD and see if you can run chkdsk (I think that is the current name of the filesystem checking program). Depending on the CD that you have (real XP or OEM CD which preloads the OS), you might also be able to run a repair of the install. Be careful since if you have a disk from the maker of the computer it might just want to reload everything, which means you will lose data.

Another suggestion might be to try something like Knoppix and see if it can see the files on the disk, but I am not sure if it can read NTFS or not, I suspect the recent version should be able to, but I have not tried it.

I do hope that you learned to not defrag a disk unless you have a backup. Also, you should instruct your sister to ALWAYS make a backup of the important files. You can get a USB drive, memory card or use a CD to backup the machine.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Boot off your XP CD. Press R to go to the recovery console.

Log onto Windows with your Administrator password if needed. Press Enter if its blank.

Type "CHKDSK /P /R" (no quotes) and press Enter. Wait for it to finish. When done, take the disk out and hit the reset button to reload Windows.