Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows installion problems

• Please log in to reply

Samjula

Samjula

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hello everyone, I've just attempted to install windows xp professional with the intent to completely wipe my previous XP home installation and all the files related to it. I inserted the disk and followed the steps without problem, during installion i chose the option to overwrite the previous operating system which would cause my previous files to be lost. My hard drive was fully partitioned to the XP home installion so i could create a new one for xp pro and then delete the xp home one. After installion, the pc loaded up with the XP home welcome screen, i comes up differently for my installion of xp pro on my laptop but im not too bothered about that. The main problem is that all my previous files still remain. Is there a way to completely wipe my pc so that its exactly how it was when i first built it and then instal XP Pro with no trace of previous os's. Also i removed my soundcard before re-installing XP as it has broken somehow, i dont mind as it was fairly cheap. I was intending to use my on-board sound along with the new operating system, although it doesnt work. How would i go about setting this up? Any help you can give me will be great.

Thanks
Sam

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use boot and nuke

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Q: How do I make a bootable CD with the ISO file?

A: Download the ISO file to your desktop and double-click it.

If nothing happens when you double-click the ISO file, then you must obtain CD burning software, like one of these products:

CDBurnerXP (Gratis)
VSO Blindwrite (Shareware)
Nero Burning ROM (Shareware)
Roxio Easy Writer (Commercial)
If you burn DBAN to CD-R and see just one file when you open the CD-R afterwards, then you have burned DBAN incorrectly.

Use the cdrecord command if you have a Linux computer.

DBAN may not boot if you modify the ISO file or filesystem layout in any way, like by injecting files.

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thanks ill try that now, once ive done that and then boot from the xp pro cd and install should everything have been rectified? Including the sound problems? Thanks again, Sam

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key (possibly F2), until it enters set up, look for BIOS defaults, load those, press F10, press enter, type Y, press enter

If no change with the sound, you would need to enter set up to look for onboard sound

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Ah right thanks for all the help