Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UNwanted Message in Notification Area

• Please log in to reply

KenH

KenH

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have windows XP. In the message notification area (lower right part of screen) I have a yellow icon shaped like a shield that says "Updates are ready for your computer. Click here to install these updates" when I hover over the icon. I don't think this is from MS. How can I delete it?
TIA.

Advertisements

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
hi ken, would you b able to post a screenshot of the offending icon?

KenH

KenH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The only way I can figure out to do it is by psting into Word and attaching that file.

Attached Files

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
hmm that yellow shield icon looks like a legit XP security icon, however, since i cant make them all out.. have you gone to the malware forum & ran the recommended scans/tools ken?

KenH

KenH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I ran all the malware/spyware stuff, downloaded a couple of MS updates, rebooted the computer, and the icon is now gone.
Thanks for the assistance.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi KenH...

The yellow shield is a legitimate Mcrosoft icon telling you that either updates are being downloaded or that updates a ready to be installed on your machine. You are seeing this because you have Automatic Update enabled on your machine.

wannabe1