Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN connection

• Please log in to reply

goochsmooch

goochsmooch

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just got a new laptop and I want to have the internet on it temporarily just until I get my wireless hooked up. On my desktop computer I have high speed internet..(sp?) or cable? I don't even know if that's the same thing. Oh well. What I really want to know is why can't I just unplug the cable from the desktop into my laptop? When I do it shows up as being connected but it still won't let me on the internet so I don't know wha'ts up. Any information would be helpful so thanks in advance..

Advertisements

Waynet

Waynet

• Pip
  • 2 posts
You don't mention whether you have cable or DSL high speed internet connection. The reason you can't just plug into your laptop is the fact that every machine has a MAC address. You need to register your MAC address with your service provider.

If you have a cable modem, turn your cable modem off. Connect your laptop to the line that goes to your cable modem. Turn your cable modem on and when the window shows up to log in, enter your log in information. The service provider should then register your MAC address.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
did your ISP give you an Install disk
Just run this