Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help on extra memory

• Please log in to reply

nickle91

nickle91

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If I am in the wrong forum please move post or tell me which one to go to.
I got a computer from my Dad (don't know age 8+years). I do know it has extra memory in it.
My computer is a WindowsME,IntelCeleron,63.0MBRAM(around 6 years old)& is upgradeable.
Can I take the extra memory out of Dads & put it into mine?
If so, will it be as simple as unpluging it from his & pluging it into mine.
Or will I need to download anything to use it? Which I don't have.
I know that I need a whole new one,but this will be cheeper. Right now this is will help me.
Everything I know about computers is self taught. So please don't speak geekese LOL.
Thanks of any&all help :0) Donna

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take the memory out of your computer and the memory out of your dad's computer and look at the gold notches on the bottom. There will probably be three gaps.

If the number of gaps are exactly the same on your memory and your dad's memory, then put them both in your computer and switch it on. If it beeps at you, it doesn't like your dad's memory and you won't be able to use it in yours.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G nickle91

Neil's right in that one way to tell is to physically compare the memory from both system to see if they match. If they do, then the memory from your dad's system should fit. It isn't guaranteed however that it will be compatible even if fits ok.

Neil is wrong however about the '3 gaps'. Given the ages of the 2 systems, I suspect you have 168 pin DIMMs in both. These will have 2 notches (or gaps) in the gold contacts, not 3.

Make sure you disconnect the power (both external & from the motherboard) before removing or installing the ram. This type of memory only fits one way (due to the notches). Before inserting the memory, make sure the 2 white plastic tabs at either end of the memory slot are opened. Line the memory up correctly & push down firmly on both ends of the module (do not force). If inserted correctly, the plastic tabs should lock into place by themselves.

Once inserted, reconnect the power & power on the system. If you hear a series of beeps, then the ram is not compatible. If the system boots up normally & it recognises the extra memory, then you should be fine.

nickle91

nickle91

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the info.
I am a litttle scared of totaly messing up my system.
Will it be able to go back to normal(relative term here) if the extra memory isn't compatible?
:0) Donna

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yes. If you leave your original memory in place & insert the memory from your dad's pc into the empty RAM slot(s), then if it doesn't work, just remove your dad's memory from your system & your computer will be back as it was to start with.

Let us know how you get on