Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No sound after defragging the hard drive

• Please log in to reply

scomar

scomar

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello all,

I just defragged my hard drive and now I do not have any sound through windows XP. When I used a diagnostic program to test the sound card it works just fine. It doesn't even make sound when th OS boots up nor does it when I try playing mp3 through media player. The big bummer is that when I defragged it took all my restore points away from Norton GoBack! Thanks in advance for any help

Scomar

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Check Device Manager for any red exclamation-marks or yellow question marks. If none exist, it must be a setting that's wrong. Check your sound settings and make sure the option for sound output is NOT set to digital.

If, however, Device Manager does show a problem listed as 'Unknown Device' or 'Multimedia Audio Device' (with a question mark), you simply need to re-install the driver for your internal sound-card or chip. It will be either on the disc that came with the soundcard, or a driver-CD supplied with the PC.

Edited by pip22, 07 May 2006 - 02:25 PM.

scomar

scomar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Check Device Manager for any red exclamation-marks or yellow question marks. If none exist, it must be a setting that's wrong. Check your sound settings and make sure the option for sound output is NOT set to digital.

If, however, Device Manager does show a problem listed as 'Unknown Device' or 'Multimedia Audio Device' (with a question mark), you simply need to re-install the driver for your internal sound-card or chip. It will be either on the disc that came with the soundcard, or a driver-CD supplied with the PC.

Thanks pip22 I checked the sound settings and the main volume control was turned down all the way. Don't know how that happened after a defrag but hey it works now. Thanks again :whistling: