Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

downgrading xp PRO to HOME

• Please log in to reply

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
there i tried it and know.... it wouldnt accept my legitimate key from my notebook and when i was activating it instaid of saying "you have 30 day(s) left" it said "you have -895552645 day(s) left" the problem is i upgraded and that key is for a new install so, what do i do know buy a new upgrade key???? or is there a way to bypass that function and use the key which literally, i already bought legaly and safely.??

:whistling: :blink: :) :help:

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
If you bought the key and used it on your notebook already, you will not be able to use it again on your desktop. But if the key you bought was suppose to allow you to install it on more than one computer, and it is giving you this message, then you will have to contact Microsoft and have them settle this issue.

You can try reinstalling and using the key again, but if you get the same problem, you will have to contact Microsoft. There is nothing we can do.

Sorry. :whistling:

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
great, thanks for all your help computerwiz and i guess ive hit bottom, ill contact those **** of microsoft but ill try dr.international first :whistling::)

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
I got a doubt, is there a tool that will check if my key is legitimate before i install a new one???

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
wait a second...I am confused (and sorry for butting in)

First, there are several versions of windows and different keys are required for each

Just to keep it simple, let's just talk XP Home

Windows XP HOME retail
Windows XP HOME oem
Windows XP HOME upgrade

Keys for one will not work on keys for another

Your laptop likely came with XP Home OEM, and the key/sticker on the bottom is for an OEM install

Where did you get the CD you are trying to reinstall?

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
No probelm, you didnt realy "butt in" and i dont know where he got the CD from i did not see it he just said it was pirated so i guess he downloaded it or something similar. the point is, i need to buy a key dont i?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

what key should i buy cuz my notebooks key can be used for 2 cpu's one desktop and one notebook,

i've given wrong info on this in the past...so i'm almost 100%sure on this one....but there is no version of xp that allows you to install it on multiple machines...you're allowed to ACTIVATE it more than once (three times i think) but that's on the same machine (unless it dies) but you cannot say...install a copy on your LT and your DT at the same time....microsoft office DOES have a clause in the EULA saying that it can be installed on one desktop and one mobile computer with one license....but xp does not

if your license is for two CPUs....that means two CPUs in the same machine (as in a dual processor system...which...why you would h ave a dual proc license i don't know)

if i'm wrong again..someone shoot me and put me out of my misery

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

if your license is for two CPUs....that means two CPUs in the same machine (as in a dual processor system...which...why you would h ave a dual proc license i don't know)

if i'm wrong again..someone shoot me and put me out of my misery

yes, i think your wrong, or i need to read windows xp new (EULA) if any cuz i remember reading one key was good for one notebook and one desktop.

by the way can you tell me two things?

1) whats OEM
2) how do i quote correctly cuz im not shur if im doing it correctly.

Edited by -OCM770-, 09 May 2006 - 05:05 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Actually, this time dsenette is right on the mark.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
IMPORTANT—READ CAREFULLY: This End-User License Agreement (“EULA”) is a legal agreement
between you (either an individual or a single entity) and Microsoft Corporation for the Microsoft software
product identified above, which includes computer software and may include associated media, printed
materials, “online” or electronic documentation, and Internet-based services (“Product”). An amendment or
addendum to this EULA may accompany the Product. YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS
EULA BY INSTALLING, COPYING, OR OTHERWISE USING THE PRODUCT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE, DO
NOT INSTALL OR USE THE PRODUCT; YOU MAY RETURN IT TO YOUR PLACE OF PURCHASE FOR A
FULL REFUND.
1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights provided that you comply with all terms and
conditions of this EULA:
Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Product on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device (“Workstation Computer”). The Product may not be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer. You may permit a maximum of ten (10) computers or other electronic devices (each a “Device”) to connect to the Workstation Computer to utilize the services of the Product solely for File and Print services, Internet Information Services, and remote access (including connection sharing and telephony services). The ten connection maximum includes any indirect connections made through “multiplexing” or other software or hardware which pools or aggregates connections. Except as otherwise permitted by the NetMeeting, Remote Assistance, and Remote Desktop features described below, you may not use the Product to permit any Device to use, access, display or run other executable software residing on the Workstation Computer, nor may you permit any Device to use, access, display, or run the Product or Product’s user interface, unless the Device has a separate license for the Product.
• Mandatory Activation. The license rights granted under this EULA are limited to the first thirty (30) days after you first install the Product unless you supply information required to activate your licensed copy in the
manner described during the setup sequence of the Product. You can activate the Product through the use of
the Internet or telephone; toll charges may apply. You may also need to reactivate the Product if you modify your computer hardware or alter the Product. There are technological measures in this Product that are designed to prevent unlicensed or illegal use of the Product. You agree that we may use those measures.
• Storage/Network Use. You may also store or install a copy of the Product on a storage device, such as a network server, used only to install or run the Product on your other Workstation Computers over an internal network; however, you must acquire and dedicate an additional license for each separate Workstation Computer on or from which the Product is installed, used, accessed, displayed or run. A license for the Product may not be shared or used concurrently on different Workstation Computers.
• Reservation of Rights. Microsoft reserves all rights not expressly granted to you in this EULA.

The above is from the retail EULA for XP Pro

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer...or the company that made your computer. You will have to check with them for their License Agreement, but past experience has shown that it is the same EULA with slightly different wording.

wannabe1

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
fwiw,

I cannot recall which one, but I think that an earlier version of Windows COULD be installed on two different machines provided one was a desktop and one was a notebook, but that does not apply to current windows (as wannabe aptly points out)

I too recall that Office could be installed on two machines (notebook and laptop) but I do not know if that applies to latest office

and the student version, I think can be installed on three

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Ok dsenette your right and sorry, my bad. I hadnt read microsofts windows xp EULA lately (as if i wanted to just for fun).

Anyhow for office, gerryf im running a genuine office2003 and it states it can be installed on one notebook and one desktop.

By the way thanks for all you help guys i hope one day i can become a staff member and realy help other people like you guys, i really enjoy learning about computers and i guess so do you guys and the truth is im kind of young for my knowledge I'd say.

Edited by -OCM770-, 10 May 2006 - 03:53 PM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Holy cra* i just found something that might help but i dont think so. the xp version the guy installed was xp pro corporate edition. does that help at all? i would really like to downgrade though, not reinstall OS

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
XP Pro Corporate does not have an illegal key, what you have is an illegal installation of it. Pro Corporate does not require validation when it is installed. Also, the Windows Update does not work manually, but it works if you set it to Automatic. Updates will automatically download when you are connected to the internet.

You may as well leave things as they are. MS will not track you down and have you thrown into jail for having this version installed. Many corporate systems have this installed.

IMHO, I would slap your friend upside his head for messing around with your property and even harder for doing that when you aren't even there ! But, what's done is done. Live and learn... and then move on. You will not be able to tell the diffrerence between the operation of the two OS versions.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Not long ago MS issued KB905474 Windows Genuine Advantage Update and if your computer is determined to be a pirated or illegal version, you get a nag in the notification area and a huge nag on the welcome screen, tactfully saying that you may be the victim of a counterfeit version of Windows. You then lose your ability to update XP, except for patches MS deems critical to the function of the Internet itself.

Back up your data and reinstall the XP that came with your computer. Yes, it will be a pain, but less headache down the road.

Johanna

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

You may as well leave things as they are. MS will not track you down and have you thrown into jail for having this version installed. Many corporate systems have this installed.

wincrazy...if you read the original post....you will see that the poster says that his friend "did him a favor" of installling xp pro over his home edition...this suggests to me that he #1 didn't ask for this and #2 didn't pay for this...therefore it's illegal...whether microsoft comes to the guy's house with guns blazing or not....he needs to rectify this issue....there are multiple staff members in this thread right now...and we're all attempting to help the user fix this issue in the best way possible....if you do not understand the licensing structure of the microsoft os...please do not make such suggestions