Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing 2nd SATA Drive

• Please log in to reply

rainmaker

rainmaker

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hello there!

I am trying to add a 2nd SATA drive to my machine. I DO NOT want a RAID setup, I just want another 120GB. So I plugged it in and now it doesn't show up. (I'm running XP.)

Any thoughts...?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Look in Computer Management -> Disk Management. Does your new drive appear in there? If so, you need to format it.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
is the drive listed in the bios? you may need to use a disk that came with your motherboard for raid setup. yes i heard you when you said you didnt want raid, but theres a setting for "just a bunch of drives" which will have neither raid0 or raid1, but will just be multiple hard drives, not cloned, not spanned.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
a JBOD array wouldnt really be appropriate its still a RAID and has over head disadvantages also JBOD from what i have ever read of it creates a single drive out of the two or three odd sized drives not seperate disks on a raid array which is just normal non raid operation JBOD is something entirely different.

rainmaker

rainmaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
The bios does not find / recognize or otherwise even acknowledge its existence. Thus, neither does it show up in the XP computer management stuff. I have a driver disk that came with the mobo but I did not use it when first installing windows as I only had one drive and did not want a raid set-up. Now I do not know how to install those divers to attempt the suggested solution without going throught the whole Winblows setup to get to the 'press F6 if you have a driver disk' prompt. Any ideas...? Oh and by the way I have completly swapped the power and data cables from the old to the new and vice versa and the old continues to work like a charm....the new not at all. So the bios can see the old on either SATA plug on the mobo, but refuse to even blink at the new.

rainmaker

rainmaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Does anybody have ANY ideas?!?!?!? I'm stumped....