Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall Windows XP sp2

• Please log in to reply

2Craftycat

2Craftycat

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello
We went through and cleaned up the virus and trojans. Now we wanted to do a reinstall of the windows and have come up with these messages again. We just bought these disks again due to problems with our first set and have never used them. When we restarted with the disk 1 in the CD, the boot comes up, it flashes this statement "not enough drive letter information" please wait while loading. Then a screen comes up with an error window that states "Open image file error". The background says Image It 3.0 on the top. Is there anything we can do?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Theres not enough information to even guess what you are trying to do. What type of computer do you have? You talk about "DISKS" when there is only 1 windows CD necessary to install XP. Are these recovery disks? Most mutiple disk recovery sets have one disk for the OS and a second( or more) disk for programs, special drivers, etc. What type of computer do you have. Did you make these Disks yourself? In your burning program, if you did burn them yourself, when a image file is burned as a data file it does not work. Image files are usually bootable versions of operating system cd's. In burning programs you should select disk image instead of data to burn the cd.

By removing the spyware you may have deleted the drivers for the cdrom(or burner) drive. Check to see that the drive is working properly in device manager. At one time i could not install XP on a computer with the CD even tho i was using a bootable XP cd. I even tried using the HD makers utility to write all "0"s to the drive. What i did was download the exe file from microsoft to make the 6 floppy disk set and installed XP that way. Sometimes having a floppy drive available comes in handy.

http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q310994

Make sure the set of floppy disks work by using them to get to the "A" prompt. I had to make a second set of disks because the third disk did not work right and the loading failed. The second set of disks worked fine. Using the floppys will not cause any harm to XP that is installed on the computer. If you need to just take the last floppy out of the computer and reboot to get back to the original XP install.

SRX660

2Craftycat

2Craftycat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for responding. I'm sorry I didn't give you enough information before.
We bought a Great Quality 6074 pc, from Fry's about 2 years ago. It has a 300 gig HD, cd drive and a cdrw/dvd combo. No floppy disk drive. Plus many removable type drives.
The disks were recovery cd disks directly from Great Quality. These were a second set of recovery disks because our first set somehow was damaged. We just received the second set about 3 weeks ago and took them out of the envelopes they came in and put them into slim jewel cases. We may not actually need to reinstall Windows, but was very frustrated that these disk don't seem to be good again.
Let me know if there is anything else you need for info.

Thanks again for your help. :whistling: