Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

multiple os on one machine

• Please log in to reply

shifty_ford

shifty_ford

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i decided just as a project to pull out an old 233 that was in the garage and see what i could do with it. What i would like to do is put several os's onto it. Not for any particular reason but just to see if it can be done.

I would like to put onto it
dos?
windows 3.11
windows 95
windows 98
windows me
windows 2000
maybe a small linux distro?

this machine only has a 6 gig hdd so i dont have alot of room to work with. but i dont want any updates or programs installed just the os's
although i do dual boot all the time this has me confused and i dont even know where to begin . any tips on how to do this. What sizes i should partition into. any bootloader that will be able to set this up with a gui.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Officially you can't have Windows 95, 98 and ME on the same machine together. Every new version will upgrade/replace the existing installation as they were never designed to dual-boot with each other.

You can dual-boot with Windows 98*Guest and 2000 though if you install 98/ME first into a small partition and then install 2000 into another partition. Linux IIRC replaces the entire boot sector which then renders Windows 9x unable to boot at all.

shifty_ford

shifty_ford

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thats too bad. I would have liked to have a real multiboot system. Can i still have a 3.11 installed with 95/98/me? what about a linux distro that has a gui but doesnt need a lot of machine to run.
only has 64mb ram and a 233.

Anyone have any ideas for my little project here?