Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Burner

• Please log in to reply

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I created this thread seeking help in gathering knowledge for me to make a purchase for a CD burner. I have an HP Pavilion that came with a CD Burner and a DVD Player. For the last two years or so, whenever I want to play any type of CD, I have been forced to use the DVD slot, because my CD Burner slot doesn't work. It just randomly stopped working, I don't know why. Obviously, if my hp/cd-writer driver doesn't work, then not only can I not play any type of CD's on there, but I can't burn music as well, since you need two drives to copy a CD.

So for two years I had to endure not being able to burn any CD's. So now I need to know what type of CD Burner I should buy, what would be best compatible with my system. Should I buy an external or internal? What company is best? I really don't want anything expensive, as long as it works I'm fine, I'd prefer something cheap actually.

Keep in mind that I don't have much hardware knowledge. The only thing I've done so far is replace my video card. I bought the videocard from www.newegg.com, which is where I plan to buy the CD burner unless someone tells me otherwise.

If I left anything out, please tell me.

Anyways, please post information that would help me purchase the best possible deal for a CD burner. For example, I would like to know the difficulty level of installing an internal CD burner. I figure an external CD burner would be easier to install, correct?

Edited by Sk0rch, 08 May 2006 - 01:48 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You didnt state the model of the computer so i cant say if a aftermarket cd burner will work with the front panel that H-P uses in place of the standard front panel on the drive. You may be able to discard the H-P front panel and mount the drive but it may ruin the looks of the computer( to some people this is important). I would buy a lite-on cd burner if you want to replace the one there. The price is around $21 + shipping from newegg. For only a few dollars more you can get a NEC 3550a DVD-RW that lets you burn both cd's and dvd's. Newegg sells them for $35 OEM and $41 retail. OEM drives do not come with any software. The only problem with the dvd burner is you dont usually get good software with them. You usually get Cyberlink PowerDVD which is Ok. I bought Nero 7 a while ago so i like using it to burn the cd's and dvd's.

If you don't mind having a older copy of Nero surplus computers sells them at a good price.

http://www.surplusco...l&item=SWW12417

Nero 6 can also burn dvd's.

SRX660

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I would also highly suggest a Lite-On. I have a DVD-RW burner from them and it works wonders. Also, most Lite-On retail packages come with the newest Nero (Nero 7 Ultra) so it's a good packaged buy.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

You didnt state the model of the computer so i cant say if a aftermarket cd burner will work with the front panel that H-P uses in place of the standard front panel on the drive. You may be able to discard the H-P front panel and mount the drive but it may ruin the looks of the computer( to some people this is important). I would buy a lite-on cd burner if you want to replace the one there. The price is around $21 + shipping from newegg. For only a few dollars more you can get a NEC 3550a DVD-RW that lets you burn both cd's and dvd's. Newegg sells them for $35 OEM and $41 retail. OEM drives do not come with any software. The only problem with the dvd burner is you dont usually get good software with them. You usually get Cyberlink PowerDVD which is Ok. I bought Nero 7 a while ago so i like using it to burn the cd's and dvd's.

If you don't mind having a older copy of Nero surplus computers sells them at a good price.

http://www.surplusco...l&item=SWW12417

Nero 6 can also burn dvd's.

SRX660

Did I mention that I don't know a lot about hardware? The model of my PC is HP Pavilion 725n.
What is an aftermarket cd burner? What do you mean by front panel? How do I "mount" the drive? I don't really think I would have a problem with the looks of the PC. Is "Lite-on" the a CD Burning company or is that a type of CD burner? Is it an internal or external? What is OEM?

Thanks for the replies.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
A aftermarket burner is one that is not a factory supplied burner like H-P. compaq, Dell, etc. These burners you buy and install yourself. If you take a look at the front of a cd drive(called a faceplate), generally it consists of a tray that pops out so you can put a cd in it, a button to open the tray, a headphones jack where you can plug in your headphones, and not much else. H-P made special covers for the drives to match the styling of the whole computer case. You may not be able to use this special h-p front panel(faceplate) on a cd burner you buy and install in the computer.

Installing the drive is easy. Heres a illustrated guide.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_cd.htm

After you install the drive and turn the computer back on you will peobably be prompted by windows with a "Found New Hardware" popup message. Usually it will tell you what the drive is. If the drive is too new for windows to see it, it will ask you for drivers for the drive, and you should have a drivers CD(dvd) to install the drivers with the cdburner. Not all have drivers CD's with them so you may have to go to the cdburner makers website and download drivers to install. These are usually exe files that you just double click and they install themselves. You may not have to install any drivers at all if the computer sees the drive and identifys it correctly. Windows will tell you so pay attention to the message prompts you see.

Lite-on is a company that makes CDrom, CD Burner, DVD rom, and DVD Burner drives. They are known for good quality while being cheaper than most of the cddrive makers. Their drives are also perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter than most cdrom drives. This shorter length can make the difference to where the drive fits in the case properly without sticking out of the front of the case and looking funny. I have a athlon 2600 computer that has a aluminum case that the standard cdrom drives hit on the edge of the motherboard causing the drive to stick out of the case 1/4 inch. By using a lite-on cd burner/dvd combo drive the drive faceplate is flush with the case.

The difference between a internal and external is that the external drives usually have a case of their own to protect the drive, and they usuall plug into a USB port on the computer. I prefer to use internal drives as i have enough spagetti wiring all over the place already. The ones i'm talking about here are internel drives. I do not like to use of external drives except for backing up customer data they want to save when they are upgrading or fixing a computer. The external drives are a bit slower than internal drives.

OEM just means the hardware usually does not come with drivers cd's since it is a manufactured computer. OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. H-P, Compaq, Dell, Gateway, etc are OEM companys.

SRX660

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Well will an aftermarket burner work on my PC? And would anyone happen to have links to good deals on burners?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Usually the best deals in any town unless the local stores have a big sale on burners.

For a DVD burner that also is a CD burner( all DVD-RW's also burn CD's).

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827152058

I prefer the NEC dvd burners over the lite-on's. I have had to RMA 2 lite-on dvd burners but that could just be my bad luck.

For a CD burner.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827106997

SRX660

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
If you are upgrading a drive, I would HIGHLY recommend getting a DVD-RW burner because it just gives you more possibilities and flexibility in terms of what you can store on discs.

NEC and Lite-On are great companies, but also check out Sony as another alternative.

And drives are pretty simple to install. Slip out the old, slip in the new, hook it up, and pray it works the first time! :whistling:

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I don't think I am "upgrading" a "drive." All I know is my CD drive/burner doesn't work, so I have to play CD's on my DVD drive.

And thanks for the suggestions, I'll check it out.

Edited by Sk0rch, 11 May 2006 - 10:04 PM.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I have a 20$ Walmart Gift card, should I go to walmart and buy one or do you think I would do better at newegg?

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
You will do better at Newegg and it will be delivered to your door. At Walmart and other commodity retailers you will typically only find "off brand" models that don't have the quality or service of a large "name brand" company. Also, Newegg has very useful user's reviews on products. You will find that the 3550 NEC burner has many, many more (~6 X) positive reviews than the Lite-On model. Consider this to be an example of a type of democracy at work...

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Okay, I will go with newegg, however, I still do not feel that I am very knowledgable towards CD burners to make a smart purchase that is a good deal.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Once shipping charges are included you will find that Newegg has just about the lowest prices anywhere. This is especially true if you make a purchase on a week day. Newegg tends to increase prices on the weekends.

Other outlets either charge more for shipping or include tax which brings the total price above Newegg.

You can't go wrong with the NEC 3550 model - just be sure to pick the right color: black, beige or silver faceplate.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Just saw a Lite-On Cd burner at Walmart for 29.95. Do you think it is a good deal?
I would prefer a CD/DVD burner but I don't think they have them, I'm gonna go check Best Buy and Circuit City tomorrow. But do you guys think I would do better at NewEgg, if so, can someone link me to some good deals at NewEgg?

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
The burner at Walmart probably on burns CDs but not DVDs. You can get a top-notch DVD/CD burner for about $40US delivered to your door. Here's the same burner in black, beige and silver:

NEC 3550 Black

NEC 3550 Beige

NEC 3550 Silver

They read and write double layer discs, DVD-R and DVD+R discs and DVD+RW too. You won't be dissapointed.